How does one choose? how does one know?

visavis

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:44 pm
This has been a pang in my life and I can see it in my more intelligent friend's lives.. how does one choose one path? how do you choose one wife/husband how does one choose a theory, a religion or no religion a God or no God.. How do you know your right? one can say being right doesnt matter - its how you lived your life.. how do you know that that isnt just a heap of crap?

"All I know is that I know nothing" - profound in the way that being 'sure' is impossible. With the possibility of dissmissal theorists or 'zen wannabes' even so called 'facts' are in question. With the capitolism of america ripping apart the fabric of what was once a society, idiot leaders doing stupid things to great people... its insainity...

So we are like some 6 billion *perverbial* dogs running around the park of 'life' sniffing eachother's butts and chasing our tails..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,035 • Replies: 25
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:17 pm
Live your life in a way that you know is the right way to live. Work hard, study hard, and earn an honest living in a career that will make you happy - not what you think will earn you the most money. Be kind to your fellow man, and be generous. It's not how much money you make, but how smart you are in managing it. Always save up to twenty percent of what you earn for your old age. Everything else is not as important.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:30 pm
C.I. that sounds good. The only problem is that not everybody gets to work in a job that makes them happy. Like me, for instance. I never found any job that did anything for me but make me money. I think you can have a happy life without having a fulfilling career. There are a LOT of people who just don't know what they want to do for a living, ever. For those people, I'd say that finding something outside your job that makes you happy is the main thing, and in your job, just do something that allows you to pursue your personal interests.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:36 pm
If you feel you need to choose "one path" I think this is it:

Don't hurt other people on purpose. The rest is just details...

Now, on to some of what you said:

Quote:
How do you know your right? one can say being right doesnt matter - its how you lived your life.. how do you know that that isnt just a heap of crap?

How do you know you're right? An example, you know when you've been out drinking all night and do something dumb? The next morning you wake up and feel sick about it, sometimes the feeling can last for a few days or until you've resolved the issue. That's when you know you aren't right. You conscience tells you when you aren't right.

Some people say that it's how you lived your life - how do you know that it isn't a load of crap?

I believe that it is how you live your life. If you are true to yourself and don't hurt other intentionally - that would generally mean that you are happy with yourself. If you die and you are happy (at peace) with yourself, then I don't know when you'd find out that it was a load of crap.

If there's some judgement after death, which I don't believe, I can't imagine the judge would find against someone who didn't hurt others on purpose and live their life in a manner that pleased them.

I guess what it comes down to is: Who are you living for? I'm living for me. So I get to be the judge of what is crap and what isn't...

If someone asked you the same questions Visavis (love the nickname by the way) how would you answer?

You don't have to be right when you answer, you just have to try your best...
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 12:15 am
True, you don't know absolutely everything about the choices you make, but you do know that if you don't choose anything, you'll sit there and rot. So it's your decision, really.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 12:36 am
kickykan, There are always choices one can make; take the job that provides you the greatest satisfaction and enjoyment. Some skills require some training and/or experience. If that's required, do everything in your power to achieve that goal. It's all up to you; nobody else will take on the responsibility for you. Don't expect things to be served on a silver platter. If you do, you'll be waiting your entire life.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 03:21 am
Jer, I completely agree with what you said. That is how I am trying to live my life. You are so right - I'm living for me. More people should remember that...
0 Replies

visavis

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:12 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Live your life in a way that you know is the right way to live. Work hard, study hard, and earn an honest living in a career that will make you happy - not what you think will earn you the most money. Be kind to your fellow man, and be generous. It's not how much money you make, but how smart you are in managing it. Always save up to twenty percent of what you earn for your old age. Everything else is not as important.

I am going to make a series of replies..

on what You said Cicerone.. what you speak of is reality of 'today' how we must live to live fully as in living in a capitalistic world. and that begins what I am trying to bring out in this post.. what it means to live today and where are we heading? to answer that I think we need to look where we came from and how they lived.. how they answered these questions..
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:40 am
visavis wrote:
on what You said Cicerone.. what you speak of is reality of 'today' how we must live to live fully as in living in a capitalistic world. and that begins what I am trying to bring out in this post.. what it means to live today and where are we heading? to answer that I think we need to look where we came from and how they lived.. how they answered these questions..

What c.i. stated isn't anything new. It's the same as it's been for centuries. Your comments about "how we must live to live fully as in living in a capitalistic world" are just political nonsense.

Perhaps the reason you have "pangs" is because you've allowed your political views to rule your life instead of choosing a path for your life and adopting the political views that support that path????
0 Replies

visavis

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:41 am
Jer wrote:
If you feel you need to choose "one path" I think this is it:

Don't hurt other people on purpose. The rest is just details...

I see what your saying and that is humanistic and logical.. if people lived to their own life and did not try to hurt others life today would be nicer

Jer wrote:

How do you know you're right? An example, you know when you've been out drinking all night and do something dumb? The next morning you wake up and feel sick about it, sometimes the feeling can last for a few days or until you've resolved the issue. That's when you know you aren't right. You conscience tells you when you aren't right.

I thank you for this..... however, if I live my life and tell myself "at least i did nothing wrong" because I never felt guilt.. thats not a very good way to live.. just my opinion about that

Jer wrote:
I believe that it is how you live your life. If you are true to yourself and don't hurt other intentionally - that would generally mean that you are happy with yourself. If you die and you are happy (at peace) with yourself, then I don't know when you'd find out that it was a load of crap.

If there's some judgement after death, which I don't believe, I can't imagine the judge would find against someone who didn't hurt others on purpose and live their life in a manner that pleased them.

I guess what it comes down to is: Who are you living for? I'm living for me. So I get to be the judge of what is crap and what isn't...

I do agree with this though. It really is how you lived your life - and for whom or what you lived it. Much as the figurative and literal saying of "you are what you eat" very much one could say "your end 'worth' is dictated by whom or what you lived for and how well you attained the goals set or attained the 'object' " I don't intend 'worth' as one person who lives for nothing should be sacrificed for someone who lives for smoothing 'more important' at all.. its difficult to put a strong adjective there. But I think my point came through.

Jer wrote:
If someone asked you the same questions Visavis (love the nickname by the way) how would you answer?

You don't have to be right when you answer, you just have to try your best

Quickly about my nickname though. I choose it because I am constantly comparing umm everything to everything. I don't let that seeming 'need' to compare' affect my life negatively, as in I don't let it become a syndrome, however, I try to be as objective as possible (i feel true objectivity is impossible)

I wont get annoying with this but to play 'devils advocate' living your life 'to the fullest' or 'trying your best' cannot possibly be enough when looking at the bigger picture. still I ask how do you live for just one 'goal' when there are so many.. just live to what makes you feel happy? or I suppose I am trying to exude the helplessness that I feel when I sit and pendant with my friends about the universe and beyond. And further more is the helplessness of if someone decided to toss a little bullet my way one day walking down the street.. all my effort to the pursuit of knowledge - all my ideas my books I have been starting all my Love and passion I am waiting to share with that one special person.. all a waste. and that is just me.. when I look at the what was it 100,000 + iraqis that were massacred (not to start a debate about the war please) by americans.. i know enough about probibility and statistics to say at LEAST a few hundred of them were exceedingly intellegent. probably many WAY WAY far beyond what I will ever acheive in enlightenment..

same goes with the two nukes in japan.. most likely 100 einsteins could have been lost.. and I look at that and see.. every day those people who were so very intellegent living outstanding lives squelched out by someone elses, some other human's choice (not labeling whos just someone elses)

perhaps this is why i feel a sort of 'envy' of Jesus Christ being able to give up so much for so many others.

I have felt this since Jr High school (im 21 now) looking at God on a cross and wishing I could have done that

If someone asked me as you said i'd say to try to live for other humans. I feel that is an infailable pursuit. If God does exist, you would have been living for his creation, living a good life and caring about others. If he does not then you helped advance humanity for future generations. but then again.. how do I know im right? heh you say we should live to be happy with who we are at the moment of death - live how we know we should live.. hmm.. i feel perhaps more reading of socates and others of his era. I feel that those who have mulled this over thousands of years ago would be able to be much more objective.. I dont know heh.. difficult questions..
0 Replies

visavis

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:45 am
fishin' wrote:
visavis wrote:

What c.i. stated isn't anything new. It's the same as it's been for centuries. Your comments about "how we must live to live fully as in living in a capitalistic world" are just political nonsense.

Perhaps the reason you have "pangs" is because you've allowed your political views to rule your life instead of choosing a path for your life and adopting the political views that support that path????

oh jeez man... look openly... i am not putting anything up there about how i am actully living.. my political views for damned sure are NOT living my life lol.. I am asking open questions to try to mull an open answer that is not indemic in any time period.. I would like to try to reach the same answer as they did thousands of years ago.. and through any culture navaho - greek - germanic - franco - or libian.. anywhere everyone should get the same answer and that is what I am getting at.. dont pounce please and if you want to please dont reply.. this is a discussion please treat it as so
0 Replies

visavis

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:02 am
lol to reiterate: how the hell can you say my political views run my life? because I feel that capitalism is anti-human? thats not a political view AT ALL.. that is a moral objection.. morality man.. morality capitalism is a whole other post though. but its a moral discision I dont watch TV also, I participate in capitalism as little as possible. I get my news and knowledge from sources, from what happen.. not from a corporation saying 'this is what they should know' am i paranoid? lol are you? dont reply to those here though stay on the subject i posted please.. if you want we can start another post about capitolism
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:11 am
visavis wrote:
oh jeez man... look openly... i am not putting anything up there about how i am actully living.. my political views for damned sure are NOT living my life lol.. I am asking open questions to try to mull an open answer that is not indemic in any time period.. I would like to try to reach the same answer as they did thousands of years ago.. and through any culture navaho - greek - germanic - franco - or libian.. anywhere everyone should get the same answer and that is what I am getting at.. dont pounce please and if you want to please dont reply.. this is a discussion please treat it as so

I didn't pounce. I asked you a simple honest question. You've thrown the term "capitalistic" into this thread several times now as if it's something to be avoided - i.e. in a negative way.

All of those prior cultures you mention WERE capitalitistic to varying degrees. All of them traded and bartered goods as a minimum.

You say you are trying to reach the same answers "they" did but you can't reach the same answer "they" did if you start with ideas "they" didn't have. That isn't searching for an honest, open answer. That's searching for justification of your existing views.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:30 am
Re: How does one choose? how does one know?
visavis wrote:
This has been a pang in my life and I can see it in my more intelligent friend's lives.. how does one choose one path? how do you choose one wife/husband how does one choose a theory, a religion or no religion a God or no God.. How do you know your right? one can say being right doesnt matter - its how you lived your life.. how do you know that that isnt just a heap of crap?

"All I know is that I know nothing" - profound in the way that being 'sure' is impossible. With the possibility of dissmissal theorists or 'zen wannabes' even so called 'facts' are in question. With the capitolism of america ripping apart the fabric of what was once a society, idiot leaders doing stupid things to great people... its insainity...

So we are like some 6 billion *perverbial* dogs running around the park of 'life' sniffing eachother's butts and chasing our tails..

OUCH!

If that is your life, it's the life you have chosen. Happiness is a choice. How we react to situations in our life is a choice.

I don't know if we can ever know for certain, 100%, that any choice is "the right one". What I do know is what you are doing today, right NOW is more important than anything else. The past is gone, the future may or may not be yours. Right now is all there really is that's certain.
Are you spending the time right now as you want to, as you enjoy?

Being in a job that doesn't bring anything but a paycheck, or a relationship that saps your being, eats away at your life. Someday when........may never come. What may have been right yesterday, may not be right today. You can always choose a different path.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:06 am
You have to find your own path that works for you. Decide your own values, take control - research some of the main faiths and their congruence to your goals and values and make an informed choice.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 05:28 pm
Vis a vis,

When I said:

Quote:

You don't have to be right when you answer, you just have to try your best

I wasn't talking about life there - I was asking you the same questions and then telling you that you needn't concern yourself with trying to give me the right answers, just that I wanted to see you give me your best answers to your own questions. That wasn't a statement about how to live your life.

I'll get into what you wrote about the rest of my post after a few more cups of coffee Wink
0 Replies

visavis

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:34 pm
fishin' wrote:
visavis wrote:

I didn't pounce. I asked you a simple honest question. You've thrown the term "capitalistic" into this thread several times now as if it's something to be avoided - i.e. in a negative way.

All of those prior cultures you mention WERE capitalitistic to varying degrees. All of them traded and bartered goods as a minimum.

You say you are trying to reach the same answers "they" did but you can't reach the same answer "they" did if you start with ideas "they" didn't have. That isn't searching for an honest, open answer. That's searching for justification of your existing views.

never said capitalism should be avoided dont put words in my mouth.. I did not want to fully get into it and i still wont I will simply put the part that matters to what you said. capitalism as is today is a corrupting power very much so.. just like communism and its not the theory its how people implement it but again i never said avoid it and LOL dude.. stop trying to pin this TO MY BELIEFS lol I am asking open questions with no want for any definitive answer nor any of your attempts at stopping the discussion with acusations please learn from C.I. and Jer and just discuss man.. either that or PLEASE delete your own posts.. i mean if you have the hankering to reply.. please delete it.. because i want a discussion not someone accusing me. also do not talk about politics in this post as i already asked.. like i said we cna start a new post if you want.. but this one i want to be about the questions that i posed...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:38 pm
Capitalism does not corrupt. It's some people who are corrupt that will misuse this economic system in unethical ways - some legal and some criminal.
0 Replies

visavis

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:48 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Capitalism does not corrupt. It's some people who are corrupt that will misuse this economic system in unethical ways - some legal and some criminal.

ya this realization came to me a while back studying comunism, the 'systems' are generally near to flawless its the people in the system that cause the problems. however lets please heh stay on the subject.. im sorry i keep straying because of that moderator
0 Replies

visavis

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:29 pm
Re: How does one choose? how does one know?
Camille wrote:

OUCH!

If that is your life, it's the life you have chosen. Happiness is a choice. How we react to situations in our life is a choice.

ya.. i do like this. i am an extreamly positive person and I choose to view situations in a positive way and be happy about whats happening..

G_Day wrote:
You have to find your own path that works for you. Decide your own values, take control - research some of the main faiths and their congruence to your goals and values and make an informed choice.

suppose that is a logical answer to most of the possed questions.
0 Replies