College before or after?

C3S1UM

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 11:23 am
If I wanna become a Ranger or some sort, is it better for me to go to college before the army? I only have a GED and with that I can only get into the reserves. I really don't know much so please be detailed. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,164 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 12:20 pm
@C3S1UM,
Consensus: Before
The older one gets the weaker one's determination
C3S1UM

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 01:35 pm
@dalehileman,
So that's a yes?
roger

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 02:12 pm
@C3S1UM,
College first would probably be better if you can get in and if you can pay for it. You might even be able to enter the service as an officer, depending on your degree. Certainly, if you can't enlist in the Regular Army with a GED, you have answered your own question.

It is possible there will be veterans' benefits that help with college, but you can't assume it will be there for you three or more years in the future.
C3S1UM

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 02:35 pm
@roger,
If I have the special forces dream, you don't think it'll be too late to join when I finish school? I'm 19 now. And one more thing, what do you think I should go for in school?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 02:46 pm
Go AFTER you have served. Why? If you can get thru bootcamp and your time served, you will find out if you really want to be a "Ranger."

BTW - you can still take on-line classes to get thru all those first two year BS classes for college, then transfer to a university with Uncle Sam paying for it.

Good luck.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 04:56 pm
@C3S1UM,
Quote:
So that's a yes?
Yes
0 Replies

C3S1UM

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 08:25 pm
@PUNKEY,
Or community college? I'm just thinking that if I do a few semesters I may actually get into active duty whereas now they're telling me I can't with a GED because they don't have spots for that anymore
roger

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:01 pm
@C3S1UM,
That's it, then. If you can't enlist in RA with a GED, you have to come up with an associate degree first. Ranger school won't accept just anyone for training, and may require more than a single term of enlistment.

I do assume that Ranger is a military designation, not some job in a forest.
0 Replies