What country is Qumran part of?

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:12 pm
The Dead Sea Scrolls were found in caves near the city of Qumran in 1947. At the time, I believe it was part of Jordan. Today, I believe it is part of the "occupied West Bank". From what I can tell, that territory was relinquished by Jordan in 1988.

As best I can tell, the entire West Bank, including the area where Qumran is located, is not universally acknowledged as belonging to any one state.

Is that correct? Is Qumran and the West Bank an orphan, occupied by Israel, but owned by no one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,596 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:15 pm
@Jennifer Murphy,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:21 pm
@Jennifer Murphy,
The West Bank, along with the site of Qumran (it's not really a city),is under the administration of Israel. As to who "owns" what piece of real estate in that part of the world is what keeps all the factions in the Near East pointing their guns at each other.
Jennifer Murphy

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:24 pm
@Ragman,
Yes, I read that page and several others. I don't see where it clearly says which country "owns" the West Bank. I believe it is occupied by Israel, but claimed by the Palestinians, who do not have a state.

So, is the West Bank part of Israel? If not, what?
Jennifer Murphy

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's what I thought, but wanted clear confirmation.

So the ownership is in dispute. It will probably be part of the State of Palestine, if that ever comes to pass.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 07:27 pm
@Jennifer Murphy,
Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Yes, I read that page and several others. I don't see where it clearly says which country "owns" the West Bank. I believe it is occupied by Israel, but claimed by the Palestinians, who do not have a state.

So, is the West Bank part of Israel? If not, what?

The West Bank is sometimes referred to as "the occupied West Bank" by certain newscasters, but, for all practical purposes, it is now a part of Israel. After all, that's where Jerusalem is located, too, not just Qumran.
0 Replies