Passive to active voice

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 02:54 pm
I am writing an article about toy hauler camping trailers. The whole thing seems okay, except for one sentence.
"They are lightweight if only used as a camping trailer, and most smaller trucks and sport utility vehicles could handle towing them. However, if they are loaded up with vehicles such as motor bikes, snowmobiles or ATVs, a larger truck may be needed."
The last part "may be needed" is marked by Word as being passive. I just can't figure out how to make it active....at least not without rearranging the whole paragraph maybe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 518 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 02:56 pm
@VividDawn,
I am not understanding a need to make this in active voice, unless it's an English composition assignment. It's fairly clearly written. word has a built-in grammar and readability guide, which can be followed or not followed depending on the purpose of the composition.
VividDawn

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 02:58 pm
@Ragman,
Oiy! I meant to post this in the grammar forum! Oh well.
I write articles online for money (getting a whole $4 for this one... IF they approve it). That's why I like to be sure they're all proper and correct Smile
Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 03:55 pm
@VividDawn,
Active voice: "...you may need a larger truck."

Passive voice here can also be quite acceptable.

When you are engaged in a narrative, I'd strive to eliminate passive voice where possible. As a former technical writer, while writing instructions, I avoided passive voice. That was when it is most advisable to use active voice.
Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 04:24 pm
@Ragman,
I'm restating due to an error: "When you are engaged in a narrative, I'd strive to use passive voice where appropriate". Generally, the type of narrative can determine it. It's generally more involving for the reader for the author to speak in an active voice, but that can be overdone.

In the case of your short note (?), there's no problem with passive voice.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 04:42 pm
This is one of two identically headed threads this person started; flatteringly for me, the advice in this one more-or-less duplicates what I wrote in the other one.

http://able2know.org/topic/210681-1

Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 05:55 pm
@contrex,
I wasn't aware of your comments. Then we must both be right, huh?
0 Replies