Dwarf star system found at 6.5 LY

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:18 am
http://science.psu.edu/news-and-events/2013-news/Luhman3-2013

Quote:
11 March 2013 — A pair of newly discovered stars is the third-closest star system to the Sun, according to a paper that will be published in Astrophysical Journal Letters. The duo is the closest star system discovered since 1916. The discovery was made by Kevin Luhman, an associate professor of astronomy and astrophysics at Penn State University and a researcher in Penn State's Center for Exoplanets and Habitable Worlds.

Both stars in the new binary system are "brown dwarfs," which are stars that are too small in mass to ever become hot enough to ignite hydrogen fusion. As a result, they are very cool and dim, resembling a giant planet like Jupiter more than a bright star like the Sun....

Electric-universe types ( www.thunderbolts.info etc.) believe brown dwarf star systems are the most likely places to find living world like our own.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,807 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:53 am
@gungasnake,
Great stuff, Gunga.

Barnard's star has always fascinated me because of its observable motion. Now we have another. I am not sure, but I think the Alpha Centauri and Proxima are relatively stable in photos for some reason...which seems strange considering they are closest to us. Perhaps they are moving toward or away from us.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 11:06 pm
I never heard of brown dwarfs before. Apparently they are somewhere between planets and stars. I would have thought that fusion was a minimum prerequisite for a celestial object to be a star.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 04:27 am
@Brandon9000,
Stars turn out not to be fusion engines.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 09:09 am
@gungasnake,
So 99.9% of the scientific community has been wrong for generations about something so fundamental? May I ask your qualifications to judge?
0 Replies