How can my dog go sooo long without peeing!

Mabey

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 08:05 am
I have a 3 yr old dog who holds his pee for days! I wake up and take my dogs to the door, 1 runs outside and pees the other is standing back in the hallway staring at me. I call him to go out and he turns and runs back up to bed! I decided to wait and see when he wanted to go out, ( opening the door and letting him go if he wanted) he hasn't! It's been 35 hrs!!! He doesn't drink or eat a lot but still! How can a dog go this long??

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 08:33 am
@Mabey,
Take him to a vet; dogs can get diabetes and any number of other conditions.
chai2

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 09:02 am
@jespah,
Is he holding it, or maybe not even producing urine?

Could be renal failure.
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 09:11 am
@chai2,
if you pinch some of his skin you shouldnt see the skin lazily flop back into place. Thats a dehydration tests and usually renal problems trigger that. When he does pee, is it really dark colored?

vet time!! dont wait till he goes into shock, being a responsible animal companion means that you should think of their health like you would your own
0 Replies

Mabey

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 09:55 am
He does this all the time, when I make him go out, sometimes he just stands by my side and won't go, but when he feels like going he pees forever! He's a skinny little guy, I don't even know where he holds all the pee! He honestly seems very happy and healthy, has anyone seen a dog do this?
chai2

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 10:46 am
@Mabey,
I think you have received adequate advice from 3 different posters to take the dog to a vet.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 10:50 am
@chai2,
Take the dog to the vet immediately, he may have an obstruction in urinary track. If his breath smells like urine, run to the vet as fast as possible. There are remedies, but if you wait too long the dogs options will be fewer. Good luck.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 10:51 am
@glitterbag,
Sorry chai, I hit reply instead of reply all. I wasn't commenting on your advice.
chai2

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 11:58 am
@glitterbag,
that's fine glitter. I'm sure the OP is upset that no one is giving her sensible advice. Rolling Eyes
Mabey

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 01:34 pm
@Mabey,
I am new to this website, I asked my 1st question and really appreciate the answers I received. What I do not appreciate is Chai2 answering my questions rudely and making sarcastic remarks. One other thing, when I went to report the comments , Chai2's signature said that I should not have children. Are you freaking kidding me?????? Why is this person allowed to answer questions?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 01:54 pm
@Mabey,
Someone told her that once, and she used it as her longtime signature. It has nothing at all to do with you.

This website is inhabited by often knowledgeable people - who are sometimes funny, sincere, or very rude, once in a while all at once.
Mabey

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:00 pm
@chai2,
I really don't think that's your call, I asked a question and I want to hear what other people have to say so if you don't mind, don't tell me what is the adequate amount of answers
Mabey

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:02 pm
@chai2,
and I don't need your sarcastic remarks. "eyeroll"
0 Replies

Mabey

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:11 pm
@ossobuco,
All I wanted to do was ask a question and see if anyone else had the same issues. Not to have someone treat me like I'm stupid or make sarcastic remarks.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:12 pm
@Mabey,
Is your dog able to void now or has the urination blockage continued? I'm hoping you have had a vet examine the dog.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:13 pm
@Mabey,
Ok, I'll add my thoughts, which are that you should take your dog to be seen by a veterinarian, and do that soon.

edit, we don't know why your dog goes so long with out peeing, but that is a disturbing phenomenon, a symptom that is an immediate danger sign.
The people who have answered are worried for you. Instead of fighting with Chai, please listen.
Mabey

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I did take him, He actually thinks he has severe separation anxiety, he won't leave my side, he is healthy but as everyone said, he could get very sick! He won't go out in the fenced in backyard by himself so I'm walking him 2x a day, so far so good!! He's a happy boy! Thank you!
glitterbag

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:28 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree with Osso, you posted on the 9th and today's the 11th. Inability to void could mean kidney failure, and that's an incredibly painful way to die.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:38 pm
@Mabey,
That strikes me as odd. Separation anxiety is serious, but dogs with this condition usually void in the house, not hold it for an incredibly long time. Other things like chewing rugs, ripping up things and barking non stop are more likely to occur.
Did the vet cath the dog to relieve the pressure?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 02:53 pm
@Mabey,
Ok, good then. It'll work for both of you.
0 Replies