I need a simple, inexpensive Alfredo Sauce!

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:54 am
cavfancier wrote:
Sorry, but no. It wouldn't be Alfredo sauce. My chef sensibilities are offended. Shocked The only concession I might make here is to buy a good jarred Alfredo sauce rather than some powder. It's pricier, but still less than buying everything yourself and making it from scratch.

I'm with cav on this!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 12:06 pm
I'm still mulling over Velveeta being called "cheese food". I didn't think that cheese had any dietary needs.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 12:16 pm
Velveeta is not actually in any "food" group, it's sorta like tofu only coloured to appear to be a food.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 12:40 pm
"Cheese food" is a euphemism for something that is highly processed and manufactured to resemble cheese.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 12:45 pm
Wildflower63:

Go to Sam's or Costco and pick up a 5-pound container of Parmesan. One tub will last for years and I don't think it ever goes bad.

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Pour in HEAVY CREAM while stirring constantly and wait for it to "grow".

Dump in PARM and stir feverishly. Don't skimp on the PARM because you cannot add more later (it will break and be disgusting). Remove from heat while continuing to stir and serve as soon as it's thick.

You can substitute milk... but if you do; cook the milk for like 20 minutes to reduce it and then it will work.

The "secret" is always in the stirring. If you ever allow it to break (separate); it's ruined and cannot be fixed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 01:07 pm
Fresh pasta Alfredo was one of my exam dishes in first year chefs school.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 01:36 pm
Mine came from a Grad of the CIA in Hyde Park. He would of course use the butter to sauté in some additional flavorings (Garlic, onion etc.) but I don't find them necessary. I can't cook really, so it must be as simple as it is delicious. (I've been through several 5 lb. containers of Parm). I would love to try yours Cav.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 02:47 pm
Good one with the Velveeta posts! It isn't exactly the right color or taste. I did find it way funny though!!

I spoil rotten easy enough! I'm happy with that powder stuff you mix with milk. Once I get a taste of something better, there never is any turning back for me. I refuse to buy anything but real butter since it came to light that spreads and margarine(sp?) were not anything worse than true butter. I bought it and find anything less completely yuck!

Thanks for the link Phoenix! Google must have been on vacation with my net search for ideas! I also appreciate everyone's suggestions. I adore even the cheap powder alfredo sauce, but that only comes in pasta form. I think this would be great on chicken or even a vege casserole.

It looks like I'm about to get spoiled rotten again using good recipes for alfredo sauce!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 05:44 pm
Go for it, Wildflower. Spoil yourself!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:26 pm
Another simple alfredo like sauce;

Depending on the ammount of pasta take an egg or two, beat with copious amount of parmesan and fresh ground pepper, fry and crumble some bacon, add to hot, drained pasta and stir. I forget the name but it's marvy.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:01 pm
In Russia we made it by heating up thick cream and then melting in the cheepest cheese we could by. Usually gouda, but there's another type of cheese they wrap in aluminum foil or something, that works great and is cheeper. That's right. Cheep. Anyway, it was durned good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 02:00 am
GOOD GRIEF, YOU GUYS. This has been an age old argument between one or two or more restaurants in Roma.

Me, I make it with half and half.

The recipe is simple, look for the simple. And then add some chili, from my pov.
0 Replies