Speed of light revisited once more still again

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 05:08 pm
In another thread,

http://able2know.org/topic/209095-3#bottom

Z asks, "In all reference frames, why is the speed of light constant and not any other speed?"

Since Z's q is OT to that thread I respond herewith

It seems constant because if you chase it in an effort to catch up with it your ruler shrinks. However I have another theory that accounts for the effect by asserting we're merely underestimating its velocity

I'll reveal it if anyone is interested but hereabout my postings don't attract much attention

maxdancona

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 05:19 pm
@dalehileman,
You have got to be kidding me Dale.

You have trouble grasping basic high school physics, and yet you are going to attack the problem of relativity?

There is a lot more to science then making things up at random.
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 05:24 pm
@dalehileman,
If youre driving your car at the speed of light and turn on your headlights, what happens?
Z

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 05:32 pm
@dalehileman,
So what is your " another theory that accounts for the effect by asserting we're merely underestimating its velocity?"
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 06:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You have got to be kidding me Dale.
No, Max, not at all. When you move a ruler in the direction of its long axis it gets shorter

Quote:
You have trouble grasping basic high school physics,
Gee thanks Max

Quote:
and yet you are going to attack the problem of relativity?
I have a sort of vague idea how it works

Quote:
There is a lot more to science then making things up at random.
Oh Max but it's not at random. It's carefully calculated to incite other participants
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 06:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
If youre driving your car at the speed of light and turn on your headlights, what happens?
The light leaves them at the speed of light c, as measured by some unfortunate fella who's hanging over the front end tied to the engine cover with his instrument
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 06:28 pm
@Z ,
Quote:
So what is your " another theory…...

http://able2know.org/topic/187876-1

However, you have to understand, Z, that I don't deny Einstein. I'm only providing a new way to look at time at a distance. I call it relative relativity

Oh, incidentally, Con, if you're online, please don't access that link because it contains references to the Intuition
maxdancona

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 09:33 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:

No. You don't.
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 12:22 am
@dalehileman,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 05:30 am
@dalehileman,
when the speed of light was first measured, it was done by using the light from two stars that were occulted by Jupiter. THEN, using the highly complex equation of D=R Xt (Distance equals rate times time). and then , by observing the star light occultation from a known occultation clock (set up by several years of observation) and solving fro the rate,the speed of light was first established and ,based upon the orbital accuracy, the time was determined at a fairly accurate rate.
Thi is developed quite nicely in a book entitled E=Mc^^, An analysis of the world's most famous equation

There are so many thgings that depend upon c and that includes extremely accurate (sub centimeter) GPS mapping. Its mostly a function of having c be a constant. Other things include synchronized world-wide news (ever notice how theres a slight delay between responses in satellite interviews? WELL that has nothing to do with c--but setting up a very accurate clock of the transmission is dependent upon a constant c)
dalehileman

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 12:32 pm
@farmerman,
Farm thank you most kindly for that report. It seems to agree with what little I know about relativity

…...Except for the satellite interviews. Very interesting
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 12:36 pm
@laughoutlood,
Laugh thank you for that link, intriguing
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 12:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote: