Vocabulary Question 'moot'

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 06:42 am
Hi English Teachers,
Is the below sentence acceptable?
I always moot questions in a forum to improve my English.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 554 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 06:47 am
Yes, it is correct. However, it is an obsolete form, and even native speakers of English may not recognize it. It is perfectly acceptable English, however.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 06:57 am
By the way, the word derives from an Old English (Anglo-Saxon) verb, gemoot, which had the very specific meaning of the freemen of a shire, a county, coming together to discuss and decide matters of common interest. It really would not be reasonable to say that you moot a question in an English forum, because you are not bringing up a matter for discussion among equals, but are asking a question to get information from people with greater expertise. When used as a verb today, it still has the meaning of bringing something up for discussion at a meeting. (Moot and meet have a common linguistic ancestor, in, i believe, Old Frisian, one of the root languages of English.)
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 07:13 am
@Setanta,
Hi Setanta,
can I say'I always need to moot ideas in a meeting '?
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 07:28 am
@Loh Jane,
You could say that, although, right off hand, i can't think of a context in which it would be meaningful. Let's say: "Loh Jane mooted the idea of creating an English learners group when she met with her classmates." Keep in mind, it's an obsolete form--native speakers of English would very likely not use it in casual conversation; it would only be likely to be seen in a written text.
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 07:50 am
@Setanta,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 07:51 am
You're welcome.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 12:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Keep in mind, it's an obsolete form--native speakers of English would very likely not use it in casual conversation; it would only be likely to be seen in a written text.

I think it would elicit blank looks from most people if used in conversation, and only a very dull kind of writer would use it. "The idea of a floral decoration of the cathedral at Easter was first mooted at a meeting of the Committee of Deacons in 1934."

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 04:34 pm
@Loh Jane,
Thanks Jane for that q. After some seven plus decades using the term I had never realized it could also be a verb. Not everyday……...
0 Replies