Meteor over Russia

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 06:48 am
Apparently a meteor has exploded in the air over russia. The concussion wave has injured several hundred people and there are meteorite pieces falling in lots of places.

Full Story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/15/us-russia-meteorite-idUSBRE91E05Z20130215

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 06:51 am
@rosborne979,
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 06:52 am
@rosborne979,
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 06:54 am
@rosborne979,
How do these people get these videos? Are they just driving along filming the sky?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 07:28 am
@rosborne979,
They look like police car or cabs videos (which are always on) ready to record any possible stop or accident.

Some more camera views (one building security camera):
http://gawker.com/5984470?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
It's some really scary stuff. Stuff that nightmares are made of!
0 Replies

Falco

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 07:45 am
@rosborne979,
Take a vacation trip to Russia and you'll see why dash cams is a must have. You think America has bad the drivers, but you just have to drive in another country, most likely you know very well how, in comparison, US drivers are very good. In other countries it's truly horrifying. I also suspect the popularity of vodka for breakfast in Russia has a lot to do with the situation. A more sane proposition to Russians roads is to ditch the dash cam and get a couple of fender mounted Uzis. It truly is a Grand-Theft Auto experience, but you only have one life and there is no load button to push.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 08:58 am
@rosborne979,
So the "big one" passes us by this PM EST. I wonder whether these two are related in any fashion. Seems we go for years with nothing and then in 2 days we are either passed by or hit by several bolides.

I hope the math guys got the orbital characteristics of this PMs flyby correct. Otherwise, some area of the planet is really fucked
oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 09:00 am

I wonder if this one was related to the much larger asteroid that is going to fly over Indonesia in a few hours.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 09:03 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
So the "big one" passes us by this PM EST. I wonder whether these two are related in any fashion.

Mr. Green

Great minds think alike.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 09:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I hope the math guys got the orbital characteristics of this PMs flyby correct. Otherwise, some area of the planet is really fucked

Based on its velocity and composition, three megaton airburst if it hits us.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 09:56 am
Someone on the radio described this meteor as the warm-up to the main event. Even if they've got the math right, the "asteroid" is passing awfully damned close--it will pass within the orbit of geosynchronous communications satellites, well within 20,000 miles.
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 09:58 am
@Setanta,
not to worry. Im here with the data that says........uhhhhh. wait a minit, its "CARRY THE 2"

wheres my rosary?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 10:16 am
Got to be related.

Just aren't big enough to be pre-spotted.

Joe(which also means there are more of them .....mebbe)Nation
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 11:31 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

How do these people get these videos? Are they just driving along filming the sky?

Those "dash cams" are not only very popular but very useful in Russia: they are used to avoid accusations by corrupt policemen as well as to video criminal attacks. (My Russian friends say, more than every second car has such a camera.)
rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 11:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Very interesting. Well, they're great for catching extremely rare (and short) events like meteor strikes as well.

It seems Russia is prone to Airburst meteor's like this. Many people suspect that the Tunguska incident was a similar event, only much larger.
Advocate

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 11:45 am
What shocks me is that a mere 20,000 pound meteor would do that much damage.

It is interesting that it exploded above ground, which, I think, would result in much more damage. There is a theory that the really huge meteor strike in Siberia also exploded in mid-air.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 11:48 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Very interesting. Well, they're great for catching extremely rare (and short) events like meteor strikes as well.
I rely on the safer NASA-video just now Wink

http://i49.tinypic.com/21nfvoj.jpg
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 01:16 pm
@rosborne979,
Remember "Melancholia"??
They thought that would pass by too.

its 2:15 DUCK!
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 01:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It just passed about 45 seconds ago, according to the Australians on SCience Friday
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 01:27 pm
Slideshow of some of the physical damage it caused:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/15/us-russia-meteorite-idUSBRE91E05Z20130215

Quote:
(Reuters) - A meteor streaked across the sky and exploded over central Russia on Friday, raining fireballs over a wide area and causing a shock wave that smashed windows, damaged buildings and injured more than 1,000 people.

People heading to work in Chelyabinsk heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright light and then felt the shock wave, according to a Reuters correspondent in the industrial city 1,500 km (950 miles) east of Moscow.

The fireball, travelling at a speed of 30 km (19 miles) per second according to Russian space agency Roscosmos, had blazed across the horizon, leaving a long white trail that could be seen as far as 200 km (125 miles) away.

Car alarms went off, thousands of windows shattered and mobile phone networks were disrupted. The Interior Ministry said the meteor explosion, a very rare spectacle, also unleashed a sonic boom.

The meteor, which weighed about 10 tons and may have been made of iron, entered Earth's atmosphere and broke apart 30-50 km (19-31 miles) above ground, according to Russia's Academy of Sciences.

No deaths were reported but the Emergencies Ministry said 20,000 rescue and clean-up workers were sent to the region after President Vladimir Putin told Emergencies Minister Vladimir Puchkov to ease the disruption and help the victims.

The Interior Ministry said about 1,200 people had been injured, at least 200 of them children, and most from shards of glass.

The regional governor in Chelyabinsk said the meteorite shower had caused more than $30 million in damage, and the Emergencies Ministry said some 300 buildings had been affected.

One piece of meteorite broke through the ice of nearby Cherbakul Lake, leaving a hole several meters wide.

WINDOWS BREAK, FRAMES BUCKLE

The early morning blast and ensuing shock wave blew out windows on Chelyabinsk's central Lenin Street, buckled some shop fronts and rattled apartment buildings in the city center.

http://www.wtop.com/emedia/wtop/27/2777/277706.jpg
0 Replies