Marilyn Manson fine art

JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 10:24 pm
Mansion's art
You know, Diane, I see Mansion's aesthetic as simultaneously beautiful and toxic. I never thought I would ever apply both words to anything, but toxic is better in this case than ugly. Some food is best prepared with a combination of sugar and salt. Some art combines ugliness and beauty very effectively. Mansison combines does it with toxic and beauty.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:02 am
Bizarre works, to say the least. However some of the images do show a talent with watercolor. I like "when I get old", interesting. Much of it no...I wouldnt even consider putting up on my walls.
And I do actually like "Living Dead Girl" although, thats about it for his music.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:17 am
I think Living Dead Girl was done by Rob Zombie.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:25 am
#@?&% your right

lol

zombe manson...who knows this early?

I think of it and get back to you Smile
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:33 am
Hehe Very Happy Hey quinn, I haven't actually heard all that much of Manson's music, but what about Rock is Dead, Sweet Dreams, Tainted Love, and The Beautiful People (some of my favorite tracks of his)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:34 am
(That boy is sooooo weird . . .)

My buddy always refers to Marilyn as "your girlfriend," and i will say that i'm verra fond of my favorite female rock vocalist . . . but hell, she's got enough money from the pimply-faced goth types who fall for her packaged adolescent angst/rebellion schtick, she don't need none of my hard-earned cash for mediocre watercolors . . .
quinn1

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:35 am
The Beautiful People...thats it
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:36 am
As for Tainted Love, just more evidence that creativity is at a premium these days; i like a good cover, but i also suspect that ol' Marilyn's springs are dryin' up . . . i prefer the original . . .
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 10:06 am
JLN, getting back to your earlier reminder that beauty can hide true evil, toxins are also ususally invisible, bringing sickness and death in their wake without warning. I guess Manson serves to remind us that we can never know where it might strike.

Toxic beauty. Yes, that does describe much his work. Still, 'grotesque' is the word that comes to mind when I view most of his paintings. Connotation is a large part of this conversation. You seem well educated in art; I'm not, so I tend to respond with more emotionalism than the kind of objectivity based on education you and others like LW bring to your analyses.

Maybe this is why Michael Moore's interview with Manson was such an eye opener for me. To see the person, to hear him express his feelings without the cacophony of performance to distort his message, made me realize and appreciate the honest feelings of the person underneath the makeup.

This is one of the reasons I loved abuzz and now a2k. There is so much to learn.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:44 am
manson
Diane "...you seem well educated in art; I'm not..." Funny, I was thinking the same thing.
BTW, was Manson wearing makeup for the Moore interview?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 10:30 pm
Yes, JL, he was, which turned me off at first. I was ready for him to just blow off the interview by hiding behind his makeup, but he was surprisingly honest and, as I've mentioned before, compassionate.

You should go see the movie. I'd never seen any of Michael Moore's films, so I was completely caught up in the different style as well as the subject. I'm ready to go see it again.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 12:53 am
I really like the paintings and do not find them difficult to look at and would buy one. I heard an interview Terry Gross did with him on Fresh Air about three years ago, he is intelligent and thoughtful. He was raised in a home where his creativity was banned and he was sent to a strict religious school here in Texas. In his home he was not allowed to have rock & roll music at all and described many other restrictions by, as he told it, an overly restrictive father.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 02:26 pm
Joanne, that's fascinating! It also reinforces my opinion of him as a caring human being despite his affectations.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 03:57 pm
Those who have visited Reno or Vegas know that Red Skelton also is an 'artist,' and sells his works for over four figures. c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 04:18 pm
A Marilyn Manson painting?

http://www.tate.org.uk/collection/T/T02/T02053_8.jpg

No, it's George Grosz, the famous German Expressionist
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:51 pm
Yes Diane after I saw you comments I decided to add my two cents worth. He is lucky to have survived the religious right and still be able to express himself. Certainly he is difficult to look at with all that make up and other apparel. But he is still very young and may grow out of the need to be so extreme in his dress. But then again he may be a real show person along the lines of say Liberace, Dolly Parton, Boy George and others who adopt an outragous stage persona. But then maybe he will always be just the way he is.

c.i. I have seen many of Red Skelton's drawings and paintings and have a couple of reproductions of his paintings. I love clowns and color. And you will never believe this, my father-in-law had an original that he sold at a yard sale for $25.00 in 1995, he had no idea what is worth. When he was telling me about he said it sold really fast.

LW great research and good eye.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:23 pm
JD, It's amazing to me how so many people literally give away fortunes without knowing it. I watch Antique Road Show on t.v. once in a while, and some lucky folks buy for the cheap some treasures worth thousands of dollars. The smart ones are those that have inherited something from their parents or some other relatives, and they bring it to the Road Show to find out its market value. Sometimes it's worth isn't much except sentimental value, but others can be worth a great fortune. It's an interesting show - worth a peek now and then. c.i.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:37 pm
I to watch antique road show sometimes but I am not sure that the appraisers are always accurate I think they up the amounts for show some times. But some of their experts are OK.

Even experts give up good stuff without knowing it sometimes. A friend of mine bought a Chou Dynasty cache pot at an antique store on Madison Ave., NYC once for a mere $5,000 and it was worth twice that amount. In fact he ended up selling it for triple the original investment and Christi's.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:49 pm
I can't get too excited about what I see on the Antiques Road Show -- they screen the items sometimes before the show arrives in the particular town. There are hundreds of items that don't make it on the show as they don't have any significant value and there's always the one item that is chosen and appraised as not so valuable to led credibility to the shows.
They do provide a good service if one can't afford to pay an appraiser.

thanks, JD -- if you enter "George Grosz" into Google, you'll find a lot of sites with originals by this artist. Many of them resemble Marilyn Manson's work even more than the one I posted. Celebrity artists are basically Sunday painters who adopt a style of a famous painter and because they are well known the overpricing is what you'd expect. This makes the work a poor candidate for anything more than buying them to hang on your wall because you've never found a piece of art you wanted more and you can afford it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 08:14 pm
JD -- many dealers don't really give up goods because they don't know what they are worth. They keystone what they paid for it and want to turn over a sale, not speculate how much they can get for it in a year or so at auction. There are some that have knowledge gaps and do let pieces slip through their fingers at well below the market price because they rely on the buyer to know they are getting a good deal and will come back and buy again purely for the fact that they made money. The object is to turn over goods as fast as possible, not let them gather dust in the back of the store.
0 Replies