Need help identifying this insect. See post for link to photo.

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 08:56 pm
Hello,

I hope I am emailing the right group. If not, I apologize. I just posted an image of a bug(s) I found in my home which is located in a residential neighborhood in Kansas City, MO. Here is a link to the photo:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IP8WUTgoKHt9W_bMz6xZDFypBgZJ5ty4yuoon0Ik42kkq7Oq0q8ty--Zn7bXRCrWi4Tj4jvBriaR1IoNQ7kC4bdwQx3WXa_Lmg/Identity1/Unknown%20Bug.jpg

"I have found 8 of these insects in my home, a single family residence, in the last 15 days. They do not seem to be distubed when approached, but when they do move they walk slow. I live alone, keep a very clean house, and eat most of my meals away from home which hopefully rules out insects attracted to food. Any help is appreciated!"

Thanks for the help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,133 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 09:06 pm
@nickolias,
looks like a box elder bug to me but the colors arent clear(should be a bright red)
nickolias

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 11:53 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you for the help. I am no expert, but according to several websites they like Ash wood. I recently had 1/4 cord of firewood delivered to my garage. The wood is half Oak and half Ash. I assume they are attracted to my heated kitchen floor which is the closest room to my garage. Should I be worried? Move the wood? I'd prefer not to spray something since the wood is for burning (unless someone knows of some type of safe Box Elder deterrent).

Wikipedia:
"They may form large aggregations while sunning themselves in areas near their host plant (e.g. on rocks, shrubs, trees, and man-made structures). However, their congregation habits and excreta can annoy people, thus they are considered nuisance pests. This is especially a problem during the cooler months, when they sometimes invade houses and other man-made structures seeking warmth or a place to overwinter. They remain inactive inside the walls (and behind siding) while the weather is cool. When the heating systems revive them, some may falsely perceive it to be springtime and enter inhabited parts of the building in search of food, water, and conspecifics. In the spring, the bugs leave their winter hibernation locations to feed and lay eggs on maple or ash trees; aggregations may be seen during this time and well into summer and early fall, depending on the temperature."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:31 am
@nickolias,

The link to the photo is broken. Do you have a working link?
0 Replies