Interesting Phenomena: Beetles raining down from trees in the early morning

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 06:12 am
Hi, I am from the Dallas, Texas area and I just wondered if anyone else had experience this. First let me say that we have had a large insect population this spring. For the last couple days I have been getting up before sunrise and having some coffee on my back porch to watch the light come out. As my backyard is illuminated, beetles begin to leap from my pecan tree and fly down to hide in the grass. I have a covered patio and I can also hear some of them making the leap and falling onto the metal roof with a thump. Within a few moments they are all fallen and it just stops. It may just be do to their larger than normal numbers that it is so evident but I still think it is just so cool and beautiful to watch. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,731 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 06:15 am
@smartguyd,
Are you getting 17-year cicadas?
smartguyd

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 06:33 am
@jespah,
No, they are largely scarab beetles we locally refer to as June bugs with a few other kinds of beetles mixed in (I know my identification, I studied entomology in college). It is too early in the season for cicadas an I do not believe my area falls into the 17 year cicada's range. Also cicadas are mostly active in the late afternoon and prefer to stay in trees rather than on the ground.
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 07:38 am
@smartguyd,
sounds like youve got a case of the Drop Beetles.

Scarab beetles have a more bitter taste than Emerald Ash borers dont they?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 07:45 am
0 Replies