Need help identifying insect molt

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 12:53 pm
I found what looks like only the brown part of a regular potato skin in my bathroom in NH, USA today. I have seen this in my bathroom before, but always wrote it off as something other than insect. It is always found in the same spot, underneath a shampoo bottle or whatever else is left in that corner. For awhile, I wasn't keeping anything directly on the tub sides for this reason. This morning I noticed my hair gel bottle was in that corner for some reason (it's a big bottle, had only been there max 2 days) and when I lifted it up found a crumpled ball of what I believe is some sort of insect molt. I have pictures of it, but haven't figured out how to post it yet. I put the unidentified molt on a bath tissue to dry, and it smelled awful as it started to dry. It doesn't have a distinct shape, which is why it is so baffling. It really can't be anything else. The largest piece is about 1.5" x 1". It is light brown with dark brown spots. I haven't found this material in any other spot in the bathroom, it always shows up on that corner of the bath tub.

Can we post pictures on this site? I have a Mac.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,288 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 12:57 pm
@buggyinNH,
Photo's would help. The way to post photos here is to simply upload the photo to any Internet Photo site and then post the link to them here.
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 01:29 pm
@rosborne979,
sounds like the instars of murmurated Stinkbugs. I dont know whether they are beginning to infest NH.
When they molt, they give off a brownsih series of plates and cant fly for a few days.
They also have a bitter coriander -like smell from the "stink compound" a type of alcohol (t-Octanol)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:45 pm
@buggyinNH,
It does not sound like bug molt to me. It's too large and it appears "under" bottles (from your description). If I had to guess I would say it's some form of mold or fungus which is growing on the bottom of your bottles, or under them, and then periodically drying out enough to flake off.

What's the general condition of the bath tub and wall in that area? Are they dry and clean? Can you take photo's of the area as well?
0 Replies