Grammar Question

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 07:52 pm
Does anyone know when to use more instead of the suffix er (e.g. I would've thought that that linen bag would've been more full.) Would I say more full or fuller? That was a bad example, I know, so could I just have the general rule.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 8
No top replies

effingreally

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 09:01 pm
@effingreally,
Also, is there a word for when words repeat? (referring to the 'that that' in this post)
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 09:27 pm
@effingreally,
I don't think there's a general rule, but here's a rule of thumb you could try:

Germans almost always use the -er construction, while the French almost always modify adjectives using "plus" (meaning "more" in their language). At least that's how I remember it from a handful of classes in both subjects.

Perhaps you could look at where a particular English adjective came form. In the case of "intelligent", you're dealing with an adjective from the Latin/French side of English's family tree, so you'd write "more intelligent" (just like the French write "plus intelligent"). In the case of "smart" you're probably looking at something more Germanic, so the rule of thumb would tell to go with "smarter" as your comparative version of "smart".
TheParser

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:27 am
@effingreally,
Hello,

You have asked an excellent question. There are, indeed, rules. I suggest that you check the Web for the use of "more" vs. "-er."

In a short post such as this, I can give you some advice from two experts. They write: "[S]tudents should understand that the basic form of the comparative is 'more' and that the -er forms are surface lexical manifestations of 'more' + adjective / adverb."

The experts also say: "A good rule of thumb for nonnative speakers is the following: when the adjective has two or more syllables and you are in doubt, use 'more'; the worst mistake you will make is a register error." (By "register," they mean formal language vs. informal, spoken language.)

Finally, one last thing. They remind us that sometimes native speakers use the -er form to get attention. They cite Alice in Wonderland when Alice says "curiouser and curiouser." Usually, we do not use -er with an adjective that ends in -ous.

James

The two experts are Mesdames Marianne Celce-Murcia and Diane Larsen-Freeman in The Grammar Book.
JTT

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:14 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Perhaps you could look at where a particular English adjective came form. In the case of "intelligent", you're dealing with an adjective from the Latin/French side of English's family tree, so you'd write "more intelligent" (just like the French write "plus intelligent"). In the case of "smart" you're probably looking at something more Germanic, so the rule of thumb would tell to go with "smarter" as your comparative version of "smart".

Bad idea, Kolyo. Languages share rules only by happenstance, not by design.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:15 pm
@TheParser,
Quote:
The two experts are Mesdames Marianne Celce-Murcia and Diane Larsen-Freeman in The Grammar Book.

Now that's more like it, James! Dump the silly prescriptivists in favor of accurate descriptivists.
TheParser

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 04:53 am
@JTT,
I need rules, JTT. They give me a feeling of security. I'm a very old man. It's too late to change.

If the prescriptivists have a rule, I am going to follow it.

So I SHALL (not "will") continue to say "It is I" (not "me") and "If I WERE " (not "was") and "I am not as tall as HE (not "him"). [In fact, since the last sentence is negative, I agree with some people who prefer "I am not SO tall as he."]

James's answer (Not "James' answer.")

JTT

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 09:08 pm
@TheParser,
Quote:
I need rules, JTT. They give me a feeling of security. I'm a very old man. It's too late to change.

You have rules, James, millions of them. And learning the really rules of language is infinitely more interesting than memorizing old wives tales.

Quote:
If the prescriptivists have a rule, I am going to follow it.

Why would you want to follow rules that are not rules of the English language?

Quote:
I agree with some people who prefer "I am not SO tall as he."]

That [prefer] tells you right there that it isn't a rule. We all have preferences, depending on the situation. And you've indicated that you are ready to break the "rule".

TheParser

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 08:05 am
@JTT,
Thanks again for your input.

James
0 Replies