What does paradox reveal about the nature of truth?

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:02 pm
@MattDavis,
I messed it up...then I edited it...And it took so long I could not update it...I will try again...

Truth = cannot be false, paradox, meta-paradox, para-false, meta-truth
False = cannot be true, paradox, meta-paradox, para-true, meta-false
paradox = cannot be true, false, meta-paradox, para-meta-true, para-meta-false, meta-para-true, meta-para-false,
meta-paradox = cannot be true, false, paradox, (para-meta-true, para-meta-false, meta-para-true, meta-para-false,???) (or para-meta-paradox???) not sure...

I need to take a break and watch some sports!! Mr. Green
Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:12 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Ahh, the spade master. You'll never guess who I am Wink . Pls don't guess. Just ask bc you couldn't guess right. Well maybe. If you get a lucky guess Wink . Honestly, I might not tell you just bc I don't want to be judged like him when I'm from a completely diferent path. Very Happy
JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:12 pm
I no longer think that my life presents a problem of paradoxes. To me paradoxes are problems of logic not of perception--and I do not consider logic to be part of my existential situation. This morning I was talking to another "meditator" about the problem of death. To me it is a stronger-than-usual existential consideration right now since my beloved brother is in the hospital with a particularly aggressive form of leukemia.
I commented to my friend that I do not think I will be become (just) NOTHING upon my death. If anything I will (also) become EVERYTHING. I was not surprised when he added, "But you are everything NOW!" How thrilling that was for me. One might take this as a paradox. How can one be nothing and everything at the same time? When, as we both see it, the notion of being SOMEthing now is inconsistent with our ongoing prereflective experience. In a sense we all have the illusion of being particular things separate from everything else (egocentricity). But when meditating we often sense that we are "everything", most clearly all that we experience at any ongoing moment. Indeed we ARE our experience, As opposed to having a life consisting of phenomenal content, we are those experiences. I've expressed this perspective many times in these forums. From the perspective of ego, one fears the annihilation of death, of becoming nothing. But when we realize that we are everything, particularly as revealed by the oneness we experience when realizing that we ARE our experience. As the Hindus say, Tat tvam asi--viz., that art thou (no division between objects and subject--only a vast phenomenal field called Self, as opposed to self or "subject" of "objective" experiential content.
0 Replies

YourNightMare

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:16 pm
@Looking4Truth,
Looking4Truth wrote:

Ahh, the spade master. You'll never guess who I am Wink . Pls don't guess. Just ask bc you couldn't guess right. Well maybe. If you get a lucky guess Wink . Honestly, I might not tell you just bc I don't want to be judged like him when I'm from a completely diferent path. Very Happy

One in the same, nice try Ryan. Wink
Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:28 pm
@YourNightMare,
Okay, you have given me away to SpadeMaster. I am VID's son. My name is Eric. My dad says things that I don't understand. An old philosophical statement says " just bc I don't understand you, doesn't mean that you don't understand yourself". VID... Do you remember that "crazy mofo"? VoiceInDarkness is my father. I understand what I know. Don't we all? I don't understand all his words, nor your. Do you understand me?
YourNightMare

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:30 pm
@Looking4Truth,
Looking4Truth wrote:

Okay, you have given me away to SpadeMaster. I am VID's son. My name is Eric. My dad says things that I don't understand. An old philosophical statement says " just bc I don't understand you, doesn't mean that you don't understand yourself". VID... Do you remember that "crazy mofo"? VoiceInDarkness is my father. I understand what I know. Don't we all? I don't understand all his words, nor your. Do you understand me?

Yes Ryan Wink did you check your PM yet? Wink
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:33 pm
@MattDavis,
You are simply redefining the logical system. Is it binary or trinary or more? Not sure if trinary is a word but you know what I mean. But I agree that for the sentence to be acceptable, you need another option. So the sentence is not valid in that binary system. A logical fallacy. Like saying 2 equals 3. In what system?
0 Replies

Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:41 pm
@YourNightMare,
I'm not who you think I am. I guess I'll let Ryan tell you when he checks his PM. SpadeMaster knows who VID is. He will understand where I'm coming from Wink .
Bennet

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:48 pm
@MattDavis,
Weird analogy, but I don't think it is accurate. Paradox doesn't add anything to the system of logic, it just tells the the implied condition, in other words it is a statement about the limitations to logic, thus the limit of mathematics.
YourNightMare

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:51 pm
@Looking4Truth,
Looking4Truth wrote:

I'm not who you think I am. I guess I'll let Ryan tell you when he checks his PM. SpadeMaster knows who VID is. He will understand where I'm coming from Wink .

Oh but you already read it Wink
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:58 pm
@Looking4Truth,
There is nothing in my inbox...I am not sure who you are yet...Or if either of you 2 know each other...I have an idea, yes I remember VID...I think one of you is VID, and one is his son...Or another who knows VID, and VID as well as this other knows who I am talking about...

I am not up for playing games...If either of you 2 would like to tell me outright who you are, that is cool...If you want to remain anonymous...that is cool too...
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:04 pm
@Bennet,
Not the limit of mathematics, but yes of the binary system of true and false.

We define a system of two conditions, 1 and 0.
Then we say 1 not equal to 0. And therefore 0 not equal to 1.

Then we say 1 equals 0. An invalid statement. not true or false, invalid by our definition.

We are confusing word definitions with logic systems.
Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:07 pm
@YourNightMare,
Does Ryan see things like I do? What did I say to make you think I was him? I would like to see what Ryan has to say. Do me a favor, PM him, and tell him that I am looking for truth. Ask him if he also has opened his eyes to see nothing and is patiently waiting for something.

Expecting something when seeing nothing is much more revealing than being blinded by something unexpectedly. Do you see darkness, or the image darkness created?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:14 pm
@Looking4Truth,
Now, I am almost certain that I know who you both are...I would say that you are V.I.D. by some comments you made in your last reply...And I would say the other name is you as well to confuse people...or something...

If either one of you 2 have a direct question to ask me, then ask me or send a pm...I am doing things right now...and do not feel like playing games...

Welcome back V.I.D.!!
Bennet

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:27 pm
@IRFRANK,
Actually paradox extends our insight beyond simple binary systems of true and false, but also the general field of mathematics.
There were many efforts to solve the paradox such as the Bergson's philosophical approach, the Cauchy/Cantor Diagonal Method, and Cantor's naive set theory.
Then there is the Russel's paradox-mathemetical view which criticized naive set theory by the so called Barber paradox. Then Axiom schema of speci fication solves the Russel paradox. But not soon after, Godel's incomplete theorem props to frustrate mathematicians again.
If you're interested in related topics check out the In nity machine paradox, Hilbert's paradox of the Grand Hotel, Newcomb paradox, Hilbert program, and the Continum hypothesis.

0 Replies

Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:28 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Okay SpadeMaster, my name is Eric. My dad is Paul Schenk (VoiceInDarkness). He also claimed to be "Dameon". I read the things you both debated about. I agree that his claims are outrageous. I also think your claims are outrageous. Just bc I don't understand, doesn't mean you don't understand yourself. Vise versa. His "theory" of the stretch of God's imagination ( which Farmerman didn't consider a theory at all) was good if you see his perspective of things.

Anyways, I'm one of his 5 children. My brothers and sister says my dad's crazy. I say we just don't understand him. After all, many people were abused of being crazy bc of lack of understanding. My dad ( VID), I don't know where he is. He kinda... disappeared. I hope to hear from him soon. I noticed this "able2kniw" site from my dad's writings. Now that I stumbled onto it, here I am.
Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:32 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
YourNightMare is just someone who thinks I'm Ryan. I'm not VID. He's gone somewhere. I'm his son Eric. I'm not here to confuse. Sorry if I confused you. I'm just here.. well bc I stumbled onto a website my dad wrote about.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:36 pm
@Looking4Truth,
So you are V.I.D.'s son huh? And your dad claimed to be "Dameon"? Do you know what that means? It means he thought he was the Devil...He also claimed to be God as well...How is Lisa, or your mother?

I really do not want to discuss your father, if you are his son, and that is the truth...And just read up on this site...I hope he is doing well...Wherever he may be...How is your mother?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:45 pm
@Looking4Truth,
I still think you 2 know each other or are one and the same yourself...

If Nightmare thought that you were I by this post of yours...

Looking4Truth wrote:
Ahh, the spade master. You'll never guess who I am . Pls don't guess. Just ask bc you couldn't guess right. Well maybe. If you get a lucky guess . Honestly, I might not tell you just bc I don't want to be judged like him when I'm from a completely diferent path.

Then neither of the 2 of you have ever known me...but the 2 of you do know each other....And I think I know who you both are!! Wink
0 Replies

Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:48 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Lisa is my step mother. Dameon means "to tame". My dad said it meant "dame on" or "Damn" for short. But the Hebrew meaning is "to tame". He wasn't lieing, like farmerman acused him of, when he said he met Lisa after she was sick. I never understood the rellitivity of why it would matter, but yeah. Lisa is still sick. I'm sure my dad swears up and down that she will be healed. I kind of lost contact with both of them.