What does paradox reveal about the nature of truth?

Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:54 pm
@Looking4Truth,
What I meant by "different path" was that my dad is a completely different person than I am. Don't know me as you knew him. Although Im hIs son, we have completly dIfferent perspectIves. The night mare guy,well I don't know who he is.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:54 pm
@Looking4Truth,
I am sorry to hear that...if it is true...I really do not feel like doing this, just because, either, it is wrong for me to do, as you're a son of his while he is not here to discuss...Or two...there is some kind of deception going on...and I am not interested in partaking....

I know what I believe is true...

I will just tell you outright that "Dameon" does not mean "to tame" God said do not deceive the little ones...So I will not deceive you, even if you have been deceived...

Is there anything you would like to know about me?
Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 10:00 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Like the name I chose, I'm just looking for truth. With no exaggeration, my dad lectured me for hours daily. I would like to know truth. I feel lost. I feel like I don't know what's going on. I want answers. It seems like the answers that I get from others are just thoughts people think they know. What us certain?
Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 10:02 pm
@Looking4Truth,
*what is certain
0 Replies

Looking4Truth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 10:06 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
The only story ever written that claims "Dameon" means devil is a movie called The Omen. If you have another source that I don't know about, please share.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 10:21 pm
@Looking4Truth,
What would you like to ask me to explain that you do not know? If you are interested in my views...
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:06 pm
@Bennet,
Quote:
Weird analogy, but I don't think it is accurate. Paradox doesn't add anything to the system of logic, it just tells the the implied condition, in other words it is a statement about the limitations to logic, thus the limit of mathematics.

I agree that in paradox is where we see the limit of logic and mathematics ability to self-know.
The recognition of a paradoxical statement/expression in such systems is basically the identification of an unknowable by the system. If we were to color the "field" of all possible statements we might color all of the "true" statements white, and all of the "false" statements black. Everything else left is indeterminate within the system, and all of those statements have a paradoxical nature.
The additional "colors" that Spade and I are going back and forth over are in some way descriptions of the structure of these indeterminate statements. A sort of "topology of paradoxes".
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:14 pm
@MattDavis,
How was your Yoga mate?
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:14 pm
@Looking4Truth,
Would you mind private messaging each other over this,
or doing it on some other forum?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:15 pm
@MattDavis,
No worries mate...I am gonna kill it...if they post to me again...

I am sorry...sometimes many random things get brought up in threads...
MattDavis

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:21 pm
@IRFRANK,
The mathematical paradoxes that Bennet lists
are all of the basic structure of the Liar Paradox.
They are basically all in some way self-refuting.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:23 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Thanks Spade Very Happy
Yoga was good.
I am really glad that you brought the #4 option question.
I think there may be something pretty deep in this topology of paradox thing.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:47 pm
@MattDavis,
Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed your Yoga! What did you think about my interpretations of the 5th? Does it sound possible or impossible? Correct contexts...etc? (top post, page 6)
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 12:16 am
@MattDavis,
Or do you simply think it is possible (meta-paradox) = (meta-para-paradox, para-meta-paradox)? is the fifth?
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 01:04 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
To be honest I think I need to take some time and flush it out with some good old paper and pencil before I have a good enough understanding to answer. Wink
0 Replies

igm

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 07:23 am
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

A great challenge to philosophers and logicians has been in how to deal with paradox.
The classic case is the Liar's Paradox:
Quote:
This sentence is false.

Is it false? I'd say the sentence was meaningless because it is referring to itself. If the sentence read 'This sentence is true.' it is obvious, that the sentence is meaningless?

I believe the problem arises when something refers to itself.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 07:28 am
@igm,
I believe the problem arises when something refers to itself.

MattDavis

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 07:33 am
@igm,
I agree igm.
All such mathematical paradoxes take the form of self-refutation.
Self-refutation of course depending on self-reference.

The strange things that happen in such loops. Very Happy
0 Replies

igm

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 08:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Just for you Frank, I wouldn't do this for everyone... when you see any of my posts contain the word 'believe' then 'imagine' I've written 'guess'... hope this helps?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 08:36 am
@igm,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5256660)
Just for you Frank, I wouldn't do this for everyone... when you see any of my posts contain the word 'believe' then 'imagine' I've written 'guess'... hope this helps?

Igm, I suspect I am so used to conceiving of "I believe" comments as actually being "I guess...or estimate"...that I do it automatically for everyone. But I appreciate your mentioning what you did.

My terse comment about your, “I believe the problem arises when something refers to itself", though, really had to do with the self-reference aspect of the comment. I stressed the “I believe” part because that seems to be essential to the nature of the self-reference.

It seems to me that all opinions (particularly those expressed as “beliefs”) seem to be a form of “referring to itself.”

It certainly differs from “this sentence is false”…or “there is no ultimate reality”…but arguably, there is a relationship. I wonder...if you are correct, are they all meaningless?

What is your opinion on this?