Who doesn't back gay marriage?

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 07:46 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Why should the government be in the business of determining what is good behavior or bad behavior, particularly in human relationships.

Are you an anarchist? Is there any such thing as good or bad behaviour relating to anything else but human relationships?

And the jails are full of people who have infringed the governments determination of what is bad behaviour.

What possible definition of "government" have you got in mind? Government does nothing else but determine such things.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 09:31 am
@spendius,
There is a big difference between criminal behavior, and bad behavior. The government has a role to decide what is criminal, "good" and "bad" should be left to each individual.

The government thinks I shouldn't rob banks and I don't have a problem with that.

Whether I am monogamous or not is none of the government's business.

I hope you can see the difference.
spendius

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 09:56 am
@maxdancona,
Of course I can see the difference if the assumption that the government has no business in the regulation of sexual relationships is a correct one.

Which it obviously isn't.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:04 am
@spendius,
Let me try again. The difference isn't sexual vs. non-sexual.

The difference is criminal vs. non-criminal. For the government to punish me for rape is valid. For the government to punish me for not marrying is bogus.

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:21 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
For the government to punish me for not marrying is bogus.

Only under certain circumstances. And it depends what you mean by punish.

Even rape might be justified in some circumstances. If women went on fertility strike for example. Aristophanes had a play about that subject 2,400 years ago.

And many feminists claim that all men are rapists. It depends what is meant by rape.
0 Replies

pavarasra

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 04:49 pm
@Berty McJock,
Why should marriage be defined only as the joining of a man and a woman? In doing so, we are calling gay marriage something other than marriage, and in return, the value of gay marriage is lowered. Going back to the definition of gay marriage, why should it not be defined as the union of two people? Regardless of gender? Just a thought...
Berty McJock

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 05:00 pm
@pavarasra,
if you read my posts through this thread (apologies if you already have), you'll see i take the position as you r.e. your post. you'll also see i've already said too much on this topic, and there's no changing my mind Razz
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 05:54 pm
Okay, so Berty and George, thanks for posting. Would you mind giving a bit of an explanation as to your attitude to gay people in everyday life? Do you dislike them? Pity them? Feel sorry for the fact that they 'shouldn't' have what you have, or feel indignant that they even think they should have what you have?
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 05:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks Frank, I've missed everyone too. I just seem to either make threads that noone responds too, or threads where there are so many responses there is no time to read them! x
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:00 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
where have i given the impression i'm anti-gay?

if it was from that silly joke about "them outbreeding us" it was only a stupid joke. for the record my sister is gay, i have a few of gay friends, and used to work in a gay sauna.

my stance, as i've maintained all the way through is that i don't believe in marriage, straight, gay, whatever, but if gay people want to marry they should be afforded the same rights as straight couples.

sorry if i gave the impression i was anti gay...i most definately am NOT.
spendius

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:01 pm
@Berty McJock,
I feel sure that we will all take that into account Jock.

And doing so immediately suggests that you are only here to change ours.

Give it your best shot. Tell us of the joys of homosexual marriage when the first flush has wearied.

Berty McJock

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:02 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
sorry i may have misread your post, but no i dont see them as inferior in any way, or worthy of pity, they're just people like you and me. on an equal footing...or they should be anyway.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:04 pm
@Berty McJock,
Quote:
and used to work in a gay sauna.

'nuf said . Say no more squire.
Berty McJock

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:04 pm
@spendius,
that's not to say i'm gay, or remotely interested in marriage...anyway i was meant to stop posting on this thread ages ago lol.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:06 pm
@spendius,
what? so i'm not allowed to earn a living in a gay establishment without being gay myself? oh come on spendi, you can do better than that Razz
spendius

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:09 pm
@Berty McJock,
You sound like Apisa with that Jock.

I can indeed do better than that. Much better in fact. I'm keeping my powder dry until the quack tells me I have only a few weeks to go.
Berty McJock

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 06:13 pm
@spendius,
weeeeell......i mean you have to admit that was just a cheap shot, and don't you think i've heard it a million times before? it gets rather boring after a while.

anyway, i REALLY am finished here now, cos i'm only going to start repeating myself, and that's just pointless, and you all don't need to hear it again.

*edit: and i'm only airing my opinion, that is after all what forums are at least partly about. i'm not trying to force it on anyone, or change anyones mind....i have at no point told anyone not to get married.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 07:08 pm
@Berty McJock,
Sorry Berty, that was my fault for skipping some posts because I am meant to be working! Hope the apology is accepted.

Maybe George can answer?
Berty McJock

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 07:11 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
no worries, apology accepted (not that here is any need for one) if you accept mine. you probably saw my subsequent pose, or edit (cant remember now). i read your post too hastily, and thought you were being unduly harsh. i should slow down a bit lol Smile
0 Replies

Hulk

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 07:24 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Does it matter who doesn't back marriage or gay marriage? The only matter of relevance are those who proactively support such an institution in the political spectrum. And in the western world, the majority, to my knowledge, back gay marriage. So what's the problem here?
And good luck converting the anti-gay conservatives who see homosexuality as an abomination with those questions.