Who are the proper subjects of moral consideration?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:02 pm
@MattDavis,
Obviously if there is only one culture around, then yes, that country is free to grant moral consideration however it sees fit. For example, the rights modern Western cultures give women now would never have been given by any culture 1000 years ago. But now, since the worlds most economically and militarily powerful country has decided to give women rights, all of the other countries are following suit.

Of course, if there is more than one culture, the stronger culture can impose its particular view of morality on weaker cultures. That is what is happening now.

It is the practices of economically weak societies that are seen as barbaric.

0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:04 pm
@Bennet,
Bennet wrote:

Are these interrogative questions aimed at me because you portray me as some sort of a proponent of moral relativism or more specifically cultural relativism? Have you ever considered me as being a proponent of moral pluralism who view moral reality to be consisting of multiple and competing moral values?

No I asked questions so that I might gain a clearer understanding of what you were saying. I asked questions because I do NOT want to portray you as having a position which you do not have.
Thank you for answering my questions Smile
maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:14 pm
@MattDavis,
Let me ask you a question Matt,

Where do rights come from? If women (or any group of people) have rights, who gave it to them? Do chimpanzee females have the same rights?
MattDavis

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:16 pm
@Bennet,
Bennet wrote:

However, I don't know if it is also true for the rest of the six billion plus people living in the world, nor do I intent to speak for them.

I don't think that the implication is generally taken when asking someone's position, that they mean for you to answer for anyone other than yourself, much less for you to answer for everyone else. Wink

Do you (personally) have a system for deciding what actions are ethical?
Bennet

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:37 pm
@MattDavis,
Very funny. I just wanted to make my position more clear and that is I don't think universal or absolute truths exists out of a constructed context.
And regarding the question, it is hard identifying ethical standard. I'm aware of the utilitarian approach, common good approach, justice approach, virtual approach, and the rights approach. But by all means I'm not the best trained at being sensitive to ethical issues and having a solid practiced method for exploring the complex ethical aspects of a decision and weighing the considerations that should impact a choice of a course of action. I'm sure someone having a degree in the study of ethics or for that matter philosophy or LLM or JD will be better equipped at tackling ethical dilemmas and ethical problems; they as well may make a living out of that. My rudimentary method utilizes the approaches mentioned as I see fit, basically relevant to the input. But it's always good to learn everyday, gain insights and take in different perspectives from others. And generally have a careful attitude towards exploring novel and difficult the ethical choices and problems with others.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 12:03 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks Maxdancona. Great question:
maxdancona wrote:
Where do rights come from? If women (or any group of people) have rights, who gave it to them? Do chimpanzee females have the same rights?

I will attempt to answer your question, but to do so may require a bit of deconstruction of the question.
Quote:
Where do rights come from?

I believe that a right is a concept, not a concrete thing. I don't think that it "comes from" anywhere. To answer this would be like answering where does empathy come from. I may attempt an evolutionary answer as to how or why an organism exhibits empathy, but that does not answer where empathy "comes from" because empathy like rights is a concept.
Quote:
If women (or any group of people) have rights, who gave it to them?

No one "gives" you rights, since rights are a concept.
You must be "granted rights".
"Someone having rights" is a shorthand way of saying "Someone being entitled to have rights granted to them". Those obligated to grant those rights are moral agents (those capable of ethical behavior).

So for example:
If I say that you have a right to life.
What is meant is that moral agents should not act to end your life.
If a fully emotionally and mentally developed person shoots and kills you, an immoral act lead to your death.
If your life is ended by some other agent (shark attack/bolt of lightning/cancer) this may be a tragic outcome, but it is not an immoral act that lead to your death.
Quote:
Do chimpanzee females have the same rights?

I believe that female chimpanzees should be granted many of the same rights that I believe should be granted to female (and all other) humans.
I believe that rights should be granted based on relevant capacities.

For example:
I believe that (at least most) animals are capable of suffering.
Because of this I think that these animals should be granted a right not to be caused unnecessary suffering.
I believe that most adult humans are capable of reason and discourse.
Because of this I believe these adults should be granted a right to be involved in their governments (allowed to vote etc.).

Does this help answer you question?
I really am trying not to dodge the question.
I think that it is a good one. Very Happy

MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 12:05 am
@Bennet,
What is the virtual approach?
This is the first I've heard of it...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 12:34 am
@Bennet,
It's my personal belief that you have a good grasp of why the best approach to any ethical question is difficult to achieve. From that standpoint, it's my HO that your conclusion on most questions about specific ethical question will probably lean to the best "truth" if there is such a thing.
0 Replies

Bennet

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 12:35 am
@MattDavis,
I meant virtue approach, or in other words virtue based ethics, but the auto speller on my phone seems to think other wise. Technology:0 Human:1
MattDavis

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:38 am
@Bennet,
Bennet wrote:

I meant virtue approach, or in other words virtue based ethics

Oh.
That is an approach I often forget about, so I am glad you drew attention to it.
Bennet wrote:

the auto speller on my phone seems to think other wise.

Well I'm glad it did, since it has prompted me to refresh myself on virtue ethics.
Bennet wrote:

Technology:0 Human:1

Sorry I can't resist Wink
How did you manage to score a point on that one?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 08:10 am
@MattDavis,
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5247454)
Frank Apisa wrote:

To Bennett, you wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
another moral relativist

Sounds to me like a put-down that you wanted to present as something less than a put-down, Matt. Am I wrong about that?

No. I did not mean it as a veiled insult.
I did label the position as moral relativism, which I believe is an accurate label.
I did not point this out as an insult, but I did mean it as a lament.

This sounds even more to me to be a veiled insult.

Is it?

Really think it over before you answer this time, Matt. (That last line, by the way, WAS a veiled, light-hearted, insult, the kind of thing we usually call "ball-busting!)

Quote:
I lament because, I feel as though taking such a position won't offer much in the way of a discussion of my OP.

If moral relativism is granted, then questions of "should" or "ought" have no meaning outside of a cultural reference. This moves the discussion of ethics from domain of philosophy to the domain of anthropology.

Well stop lamenting, because it amounts to fearing "the boogeyman."

On the question of "Who are the proper subjects of moral consideration?"...you are almost demanding "moral relativism."

And if what was said actually was "moral relativism"...it doesn't seem to have stopped the discussion in any way...and seems to be moving it along quite nicely.

Quote:
I am not claiming that a position of moral relativism is invalid. I am just pointing out that dismissing the possibility of objective or absolute ethical truth claims, leaves little to discuss philosophically.

You are free to do that...but since philosophers HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING this kind of thing for centuries...I question why you think that.

Quote:
In the same way that dismissing the possibility of objective or absolute epistemological truth claims leaves little to discuss philosophically (as in your debate with igm).

I'm 76 years old...and although philosophy was one of my majors many, many, many years ago...I must respectfully ask you to ease up a bit on sentences like this. You sound like a capable individual. Surely you can put whatever thought you were trying to communicate in easier to understand language. I wouldn't want to see another Fresco or Howard Cossell in the forum.

Quote:
Since you asked about my views:
I do believe that ethical truth claims can be evaluated on merits not dependent upon specific cultural conventions. (If there is interest, perhaps I will create a forum to discuss this.)

There are many people in the forum who love that kind of thing...and if you are so inclined, I suggest you give it a go. You will have many takers...and I am almost sure I will be one of them.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 09:30 am
@MattDavis,
First of all let me clarify the chimpanzee question. I was not asking about how humans should treat chimpanzees. I was talking about how male chimpanzees should treat female chimpanzees (when no humans are involved).

Male chimpanzees treat females in a way that any modern human culture would find atrocious.

Are Male chimpanzees acting immorally?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 09:36 am
@MattDavis,
You are waltzing around the obvious answer Matt. Rights are a human invention,

We have rights for the sole reason that we say we have rights. There is no other reason. Rights are invented by humans.

We made them up as part of creating societies. Outside of human society, rights have no relevance anywere in the Universe, In places where there is a breakdown in social structure, rights disappear.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 09:42 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are waltzing around the obvious answer Matt. Rights are a human invention,

We have rights for the sole reason that we say we have rights. There is no other reason. Rights are invented by humans.

We made them up as part of creating societies. Outside of human society, rights have no relevance anywere in the Universe, In places where there is a breakdown in social structure, rights disappear.

I was with you up to this point, Max.

Rights are a function of society...but it seems to me that the function is the inverse of what you are proposing.

A person...an entity...it born with the "rights" to do anything and everything. Society limits those rights. "Rights", it seems to me, accrue to each individual in so far as the society in which he/she lives does not limit those rights.

Rights have to be limited in order for society to function. One of the roles of government is to determine which rights are to be taken away for the greater good.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 09:43 am
What right to you have to life?

One thing gives keeps you alive. You live in a society that gives an invented value to human life.

Any given day there are hundreds of people who could kill you. In a lawless place where there are no rules valuing your rights, you would more likely be dead or robbed. It is the social structure that gives you the ability to walk around with the fear of being killed.

What rights do you have to live outside of society? Germs can kill you. Animals can kill you. Earthquakes kill. Vocano's kill. You can fall off of a cliff. Or, of course, your body can just deteriorate over years and finally give out.

The value of human life is invented only by humans. The Universe doesn't certainly doesn't value human life or rights.

Any values are invented by humans living in society. There is nothing else.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 09:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don't know if this is semantics or not Frank.

A newborn has no rights. In failed societies newborns are routinely killed or sold. In our society we protect newborns by law because our society values them.

Who has more rights? People living in a functioning society such as the US or someone in a failed society, such as Somalia.

If you were going to enumerate progress in human rights it would include things like

- Stopping child labor
- Ending rape
- Stopping spousal abuse.
- Ensuring education

In any area I can think of, the values our "rights" are based on depend on a functioning society.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 10:37 am
@maxdancona,
I definitely agree that our "rights" are a function of society...but, as I said, I think it is not that society gives us rights, but rather than that society sometimes does NOT TAKE AWAY rights.

A newborn babe does have all the rights any human has...but society can take some away for the greater good. Some they take away by imposing restrictions on where the person (when able) can go and what they can do.

Sometimes they take all rights away by dashing its brains against a rock while still a newborn.

We are in substantial agreement, Max. I am simply looking at things from a different angle.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 02:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I think this is an issue of semantics but an important one.

Rape is common until society steps in to forbid it. Whether making laws against rape is taking rights away from men, or giving rights to women is a matter of semantics.

Without society setting and enforcing rules against robbery of many kinds, the powerful will take from the weak. Is this taking away the rights of the powerful, or giving rights to the weak?

A newborn baby will die when it is left to its own (no rock is required). Society insists that parents take care of their babies (many do of their own accord, but not all). Certainly if society didn't mandate that each baby had adults taking care of it, many wouldn't.

Is society giving rights to a baby, or taking rights away from adults by insisting that each baby is cared for?

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 08:35 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

What you stated has:
Class #1=[all humans]
Class #2=[all beings deserving of moral consideration]
Class #3=[all beings capable of moral consideration]

You claimed that Class #2 includes all of Class #3 (valid)
You claimed that Class #3 includes most of Class #1 therefor all of Class #1 is included in Class #2 (invalid).

I have already laid out my position twice, so I don't see any reason to do it again, especially as it appears you weren't paying attention the first two times around. So I'll let you figure out how you made such a laughable mistake here. One hint: where did I say anything about "all beings deserving of moral consideration?"
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 08:43 pm
@Bennet,
Bennet wrote:
You may see it as right or wrong, but I see it as a variable range in a given context from an individual's perspective.

Why do you see it that way?

Bennet wrote:
Some may see the duty aspect of moral experience suggests the reality of justice, which is inherently relational and thus irreducible to any interpretation of morality as mere personal fulfillment. They see the joviality aspect of moral experience to be a suggestive reality of desire-for-the-good, which is inherently personal and thus irreducible to an interpretation of morality as mere social or divine obligation.

Is that empirically true or logically true?

Bennet wrote:
Now my question of interest is why do you think it is simply wrong to extend moral consideration outside the class of beings capable of moral consideration?

I don't think it's "wrong," at least not in a moral sense. I think it's unwarranted to consider non-humans as moral agents, for the simple reason that no non-human has ever acted morally, nor is there any reason to think that non-humans can act morally.

Bennet wrote:
I'd like to point out that the idea of a being capable of moral consideration extending moral consideration outside the class of beings who are capable of moral consideration is a vague idea.

Well, when you put it that way, I tend to agree.

Bennet wrote:
The first thing that must be clarified is what does one mean by the phrase moral consideration as it is being used? And there is the aspect of equality. Should all humans be morally considered equally? Or should all sentient beings be morally considered equally?

You tell me.

Bennet wrote:
From daily observation do sentient beings outside the class of beings who are capable of moral consideration, extended moral considerations, albeit it may not be on equal footing with a human being? The line of reasoning that suggests no moral consideration be extended to sentient beings not capable of moral consideration just doesn't hold up in ordinary moral discourse. With such a construct creating animal suffering and being cruel to sentient beings not capable of moral considerations changes from being an immoral act to an amoral act.

Is 'sentience" the sole criterion for determining whether some being is entitled to moral consideration?