Who are the proper subjects of moral consideration?

MattDavis

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 06:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cicerone wrote:
How would you know if you are suffering if you have alzheimers?

You would "know" of the suffering of such a moral object in the same way you can "know" the suffering of anyone else.
By the outward signs of it.
I "know" that an infant is suffering when it cries.
Why? Because when distressing stimuli are presented to an infant, it cries.
I "know" that when a dog is suffering when it cringes.
Why? Because when a dog is kicked it cringes.
I "know" that the confusion in dementia causes suffering for an Alzhiemer's victim.
Why? Because when confusing stimuli are presented to such a patient the patient exhibits signs of distress. They appear to suffer in the same way, that they would appear to suffer if I caused them physical pain, or yelled at them, or told them their dog died. They act out in anger. They cry. They withdraw.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only way I would "know" if you were suffering Cicerone,
is also by the outward signs of it. You might tell me you are suffering. Those words are an outward sign then. That outward sign may be a lie. I would actually be much more inclined to believe in that suffering if I saw some corroborating evidence by your tears, or your body language, etc.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 06:18 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
So what level should the minimum threshold of deviation be set, in your opinion, to label someone a sociopath?

It is nice that you have an interest in my opinion. I truly do not have an answer that I fell comfortable with but I will try and answer your question the best that I can.

I think that I may be on the empathic side or somewhat opposite of sociopathy as I understand it but lets just take you as an example. If you were to be my biological father who I seen skin kittens and try and feed them to his dogs and left me at a beach type of fair/carnival at the age of 13 years old to fend for myself over night only to return in the morning after a night of chasing women on his new motorcycle.

I am not one to try and find a threshold but when a person does not show empathy for their offspring I would have to say that is a starting point.

MattDavis

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 06:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I am not one to try and find a threshold but when a person does not show empathy for their offspring I would have to say that is a starting point.

AMEN! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 06:49 pm
@MattDavis,
You wrote,
Quote:

A crying infant doesn't always mean it is suffering. You're talking about outside influences to get a reaction. We're talking about alzheimers.
MattDavis

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You wrote,
Quote:

A crying infant doesn't always mean it is suffering. You're talking about outside influences to get a reaction. We're talking about alzheimers.

Could I trouble you to read the entirety of my response(s) to you?
I have sincerely been trying to address that issue throughout all of them.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:09 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
The only way I would "know" if you were suffering Cicerone,
is also by the outward signs of it. You might tell me you are suffering. Those words are an outward sign then. That outward sign may be a lie. I would actually be much more inclined to believe in that suffering if I saw some corroborating evidence by your tears, or your body language, etc.

This is a great illustration in my opinion. Cool
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
By such a sick and gruesome example, I'm assuming you are going by the standards of studies done on sociopaths who have been in the prison population.
This is where the lack of a commonly accepted layman's definition of the term sociopath becomes problematic. You could be right in what you’re saying BUT the “problem” could also be the lack of whatever it is that hinders certain criminal sociopaths from taking consequence into account, which in and of itself might be a separate issue. In other words, unless you believe that all people who fit the label of sociopath are unable to control themselves, what you’re saying about it being a disorder doesn’t necessarily follow. And even if it were proven that sociopathy equals uncontrollable criminality, it still doesn’t follow that it must necessarily be labeled a disorder. Showing deviant behaviors against other individuals in society is not necessarily proof of a disorder. We’d have to define what we mean by disorder, why that definition should be normative, then couple that definition with one of sociopathology, and then explain why that definition should be normative, producing evidence all along the way. Roughly speaking.
Lola being a psychoanalyst likely could contribute more than me in the techniques and the standards utilized by psychologists who work together with neuroscientists to try to determine the distinct conditions and resolve classification issues involved in the labeling of someone who is considered a "sociopath."
MattDavis

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:16 pm
@aspvenom,
AspVenom wrote:
Lola being a psychoanalyst likely could contribute more than me in the techniques and the standards utilized by psychologists who work together with neuroscientits to determine the distinct conditions and classification issues involved with a labeling someone a sociopath.
I also would enjoy Lola weighing in on this issue (ie. is clinical sociopathy different than rational self-interest).
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:20 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
By such a sick and gruesome example, I'm assuming you are going by the standards of studies done on sociopaths who have been in the prison population.

What I have shared with you is reality, My father is much different than his siblings but none the less he did what I said he did. He did much worse to my sisters but what does that mater? He is still sociopathic from my understanding and I would think that he was treated the same as his siblings that grew up different and are all educated with college degrees.
Life is not same for all of us.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:21 pm
@aspvenom,
I'm following your train of thought, and I agree with most of what you say.
We've heard so often about fraud perpetrated by people who seemed to have good personality traits.

In my experience as an auditor, I have come to the conclusion that appearances are the most deceiving in trying to investigate fraud. Many so-called honest people turn into theives when they are exposed to the opportunities that they cannot resist or are not controlled well enough.

The human mind is not an easy read.

0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
Wow, sorry you had to go through that rough patch man.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:05 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
This is where the lack of a commonly accepted layman's definition of the term sociopath becomes problematic. You could be right in what you’re saying BUT the “problem” could also be the lack of whatever it is that hinders certain criminal sociopaths from taking consequence into account,

This true, not all sociopaths have identical characters. just as all deaf and blind people are different.

Quote:
In other words, unless you believe that all people who fit the label of sociopath are unable to control themselves, what you’re saying about it being a disorder doesn’t necessarily follow

They all have a problem with empathy toward others and it is much more complicated than that.

I would like to get back a little closer to the subject of the OP.

You stated about Dr Katz.

Quote:
Ok to begin let me start with observation of reality.
Observation of reality does not support an ideal world where everyone agrees with everyone, and everyone is satisfied where it is some sort of paradise on Eart, called "the good life.

I do not recall Dr katz making a claim like this or suggesting it as being possible.

Quote:
Dr. Katz' approach is therefore a only a theory (valid or not can be decided by others who have read it), and not scientific proof.

What claim has he made that you find no proof for?

Quote:
Dr. Katz intends for his ideal rationalised theory to become universal, it is no different than Communism, Nazism or other ideal rationalisation of social interaction.

Why do you see no difference? He is not making claims of absolutes but rather inviting others to refine what he has observed from his studies.

Quote:
Katz can use strange attractors, and other complex equations to model these societies and recognize that societies are complex. But the fact of it is that it remains nevertheless, nothing more than a theory, not scientific proof.

Do you find value in statistics? Do you find value in Axiology?

Quote:
And if successful and adopted by the masses, this ideal rationalised theory that he calls the "good life" will take on a whole other role than the one he predicts or intends. Does Dr. Katz realize this will become a dogma, just like the other dogmas?

Is this your theory or do you have empirical evidence to your claim?

Quote:
Marxism too looked good on paper when Marx wrote at the time of the Communes Revolt in Paris. Marxist societies look kind of different you see. It is inevitable: every society has its Gods and if an ideal rationalized theory becomes so succesfull as Dr. Katz intends it to become, then the theory will become the new dogma, and bring in the new gang of divinities. If this theory has with its own potential success to turn it into a man made dogma, and misinterpretations, just as happened with every other rationalised and ideal theory it could lead easily to violence.

Do you think this to be true with other concepts that have been constructed using logical consistencies?

Quote:
And don't think I'm done, there is more criticism in my pocket to hand out.

Why not use the word opinions rather than criticism ?
MattDavis

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Do you find value in Axiology?

I find value in axiology (which ironically is the task of axiology).
I find value also in the irony Wink
In all seriousness this is central to my OP, for whatever that's worth.
If I had known of this term I would have been using it myself. Very Happy
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:24 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
If I had known of this term I would have been using it myself.

A word I learned from Dr Katz and I guess he learned it from his professor Hartman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_S._Hartman
MattDavis

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 04:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
It is the central question in ethical philosophy.
Where to place value?
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I do not recall Dr katz making a claim like this or suggesting it as being possible.

So are you playing this disciple act in relation to Dr. Katz without actually going over and rationally analyzing what he has written on the subject matter?

"What he or
she would do is tell us the moral facts, as a result of accurate
measurements: we would learn how much various life-styles are worth.
Then we would “pay our money,” and take our choice -- just as if we were
shopping for apparel or groceries….only in the caseof ethics money would
not be involved; rather it would be ourchoices-based upon new knowledge
- that really mattered. The new science would clearly show the paths to
happiness and success.
"

In other words, Dr. Katz is saying from his observation, here is the "accurate" measured rules or potential dogma.

reasoning logic wrote:
What claim has he made that you find no proof for?

The universalization bit of it, and making ethics more than normative science, in other words a traditional science.
"Picture this: Ethics has become a legitimate science and has taken its place alongside Physics, Biology, and Geology as an established and respected discipline."

reasoning logic wrote:

Why do you see no difference? He is not making claims of absolutes but rather inviting others to refine what he has observed from his studies.

That's not the problem, the problem is the trying to standardize his claims on a universal level. To make a formal science out of ethics.

reasoning logic wrote:
Do you find value in statistics? Do you find value in Axiology?

I find nothing wrong with utilizing statistics and discussing proposed axiologies but I don't value conclusions by those who wrongly apply statistics to misguided claims, and try to "universalize" their axiologies.

reasoning logic wrote:
Do you think this to be true with other concepts that have been constructed using logical consistencies?

What I gave is not the truth. In my opinion the word "truth" is greatly over-used and misused. Anyway what I told is a cautionary advice, a logical possibility, based on history.
Now the question I need to ask you is, are you interested in learning history to try to avoid the same mistakes happening again in the future?

reasoning logic wrote:
Why not use the word opinions rather than criticism ?

Well I think you should understand the difference between critiques from general opinions. A Critique is based upon an informed opinion, and never upon personal opinion. Unless you think Dr. Katz's studies is a personal opinion rather than a informed opinion, then yes, my statements are critiques.

I can see where Dr. Katz is coming from, but my realist side see this as a big misunderstanding on the part of Dr. Katz, in my opinion, to make a traditional field of science out of ethics.
MattDavis

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:59 pm
@aspvenom,
Just a thought:

I understand your sociological concerns about any ethical system becoming universalized across a society. I hear your argument that by making a more formalized scientific study of the field of ethics may in someway compel any society to adopt whatever the recommendations of this hypothetical discipline are. As in "I don't just disagree with you, I have scientific facts to back it up."

For one thing I think you are placing too high an opinion on societies if you think that they default to the scientific understanding. Look at global warming, look at criminal justice, look at education.

Secondly I see a parallel to your hypothetical. Psychology. Tasked with the previously merely Wink philosophical discipline.
Has this made theory of mind questions now set in stone?
Is mind now a closed discussion?
Has any society as a result become uniform in their theory of mind?

I would contend that it has expanded the discipline of theory of mind to have psychology. Now look at all the disciplines theory of mind can draw upon. Psychology, Systems Analysis, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Sociology, Comparative Religion....

Like I said, Just a Thought.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:03 pm
@MattDavis,
You hit the proverbial nail on the head. Societies, no matter how exclusive, will never become ethically uniform.
aspvenom

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:28 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:
For one thing I think you are placing too high an opinion on societies if you think that they default to the scientific understanding. Look at global warming, look at criminal justice, look at education.

No I am placing more value on a person's freedom of choice. A person has their own choice to form an ethical answer. I can approach somebody positively, and seek my self-interest instead of selfishness, and value human life immensely and follow all of his other guidelines and still end up disagreeing with that person, to the point where it might be a surreal. And so what happens? The one who doesn't belong to the side of Dr. Katz's dogma... well I hope they don't do to such a person what communists states do to the "radical."

We're not literally dogs, or programmable robots under a master in the ethical sense.
The intrinsic valuation process may still vary enough to provoke violent disagreements between self-interests. Humans are way too complex to sum up with tags like "good human" and "bad human", and a few guidelines like "be nice", "don't pee in the house", "value human life" (this one sounds like the 1st Law of Robotics) etc.

MattDavis wrote:
I would contend that it has expanded the discipline of theory of mind to have psychology. Now look at all the disciplines theory of mind can draw upon. Psychology, Systems Analysis, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Sociology, Comparative Religion....

Ethics may not be a traditional science, but they both influence each other, however, "facts" in ethics are of a very different nature than scientific facts. In ethics, in many cases, what constitutes a "fact," is only because this "fact" is constructed by certain sections of humanity that share a similar background and view of the world.
aspvenom

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wish Dr. Katz would see that. That's why ethics is classified under normative science. Apparently, Katz is trying to turn ethics into a traditional science with construction of some standardized uniform theory. It doesn't take a phd to figure out that it is a dangerous attempt if popularity is gained.