Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 11:21 am
my dog died because it was accidentally hit by a truck parked on a slope in front of my neighbor's house which happens to slid down because it was old. can i sue my neighbor for compensation for this incident?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 11:23 am
@arukurisutin,
There is no way anyone can answer this legal question as we don't know what country you live in.

In theory, (at least PARTS of the US), you could take the person to ... say small claims court. In NYC, pets are considered property and are legally treated as such.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:08 pm
@arukurisutin,
It is also pertinent as to where your dog was at the time he was hit.
Was he/she on your property, on your neighbors property, on public property?
I am very sorry for your dog. Is he/she still living?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:27 pm
@arukurisutin,
Of course you can sue your neighbor, assuming you can afford the filing fee. Whether you have a valid cause of action is a different question. Good luck!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:27 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:
Is he/she still living?

Apparently not.
MattDavis

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:54 pm
@Ticomaya,
Oh, I missed the "my dog died" part.
raveenasen

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 07:10 am
@MattDavis,
It is possible to sue him. Sounds like it is a claim you need to bring to your local small claims court. You aren't allowed to have lawyers in small claims court. You need to take pictures of the death. If there is nothing proving he did it, it is just going to be their word against yours.
0 Replies