Best Part of Super Bowl Is??

George

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:24 pm
1) The Game -- see also #6
2) Betting -- but somehow, I am not in a single SB square this year.
3) Gathering -- Just The Bride, my man Rhys and me this year
4) Commercials -- The Clydesdales rule, the others drool
5) Halftime Show -- Always lame. Call me when the game is back.
6) The Game -- When it's bad, it's REALLY bad.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

My dad started the tv dept for Foote Cone and Belding..

so we are similar on that.

I also grew up hating some commercials (Anacin, Anacin, fast fast fast relief!) - but I was interested from an early age.

I pay attention to the art side but also the pitch as well as trying to figure out if the company made a good choice in sinking so much money into a minute or two of airtime. Mad Men is pretty much the only show I watch anymore both because it is so well made and because it is about the advertising business, which I find fasinating.

Footnote: I also like going online in the days after to see what connected with the masses and what did not, and trying to figure out why.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:31 pm
@Roberta,
For a lot of sports I can get interested in a game I didn't care a whit about before tuning in: football, baseball, occasionally soccer; way in my past, basketball. Certainly tennis.

As long as the announcers don't defile my brain and shut up once in a while. Mute can be useful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, there is usually a site (or more) about the commercials.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:39 pm
It dawns on me that I did not mention the pregame show....it is always on but I can't recall anyone ever paying much attention...this is social and drinking and eating time in my world.
Kolyo

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:07 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

The days after its over--I consider the Superbowl as the second sign of spring. Eight more days 'til pitchers and catchers go to Spring training (The third sign of Spring).

Rap

Do you ever worry that with global warming the Blue Jays and Cardinals will show up a couple weeks early and find themselves locked out of their ballparks with nothing to eat?

St. Louis is a fanatical baseball town, and the fans would take care of their players, but Toronto might not even realize there was a problem.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
I vary.

My most memorable super bowl sunday was going to a vietnamese place in LA's chinatown. The cook was a friend, and we brought friends. LA was oddly quiet. Almost serene. People were adjusting themselves to tvs.

Those were years when I wasn't following sports much. The cook wasn't there.
So we ordered stuff. Ate up, had good time talking.

As we were finishing, the cook (Frank, short for a vietnamese name) walked in the door with grocery bags to cook our meal. We had the brains to stay, thank goodness.

He made us a country meal - kidneys, for example. We all tried.

And served us his special tea in pot (remy martin cognac).

And that's only the half of it. What a day, and I don't even remember what year it was. I'll guess '87.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
My list:

(1) bracket contests like the one Johnboy runs at a2k

(2) the game

(3) having an excuse to drink

(4) your updates on the general level of misandry in Super Bowl commercials
(always good for a laugh)
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:56 pm
1. Game

2. Parties, food, drinks, shots, beer etc...

3. Betting, Superbowl squares (some peeps bet 500$ on coin flip, I have seen it and they won too!)

4. Games, (RJB)

5. Commercials

6. Half time...(the one and only time something crazy happened, I was not looking at the screen) when Justin showed Janet Jackson's breast, and he told me, and I did not believe him and we argued for about 3 minutes...Till the guys on TV said something about it...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 06:08 pm
I remember coming down on the prude side of that (not my usual take on stuff).

I was all about what can be shown in certain hours with families of many sorts watching.

<getting over myself>
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 06:35 pm
Seen 30 minutes so far and only one commercial putting down men, that being Doritoes having the men be effeminate slobs. The is better than the last few years so far.

The game is looking like the normal blow out...which has not been the case a lot for the last few years.

Also noticing how much of the time CBS owners kept to hawk their wares. My guess is that they created a shortage of for sale minutes in order to drive up the price.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 06:47 pm
Ha Ha...that last commercial was good...a Spanish version of Fun, we are young...With seniors...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 06:49 pm
Vegas has to be pissed right now...40-1 at the beginning of the post season...Biggest long shot...

A lot of people are happy though...
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:10 pm
@Kolyo,
I grew up halfway between Cincinnati and St Louis and became a Red. Even convinced my wife, who grew up in St Louis, to become a Red.

My fallback team is the Cardinals though. I could never be a Blue Jay--Blue is not my color.

Rap
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:18 pm
Nice to see Destiny's Child perform again, as a group...But this is a bit boring...

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:19 pm
Half time sucked...more black over produced gaudy mess produced by formula. Reminds me of the hollywood summer movie products...all the same fast loud mess aka not very good. I want someone to do something cool...to surprise me.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
Except for play of the ravens (who are winning...coincidence?) This entire product perfectly represents america circa 2013, that is small bore/risk averse. It is hard to believe that this is the same country that once dreamed grand dreams and worked to bring those dreams to life.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:33 pm
Wow...that just friggen sucked all the life out of SF...terrible for viewers...

So who does everyone think will win the MVP? LoL...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:39 pm
Now they can't keep the power on in the stadium....making my point exactly!
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Did this not happen last year or 2 years ago? Maybe that was a Dallas regular game where it was like a 30 min wait? I cant remember...