Political philosophy litterature

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 12:29 pm
Hey, so i'm using my last 5 months in highs school to work on a piolitical philosophy project. I'm going to read 4-5 books, analyze them, and at last write an essay where i explains how my utopia looks like. It also need to have a topic all year.

So my questions to you is if you can help me setting up a good curriculum for 5 months( 2000-3000 pages) .

I can rerad both fiction, and non fiction, but i prefer to start up with non fiction before I will start reading most fiction. I have thought about topics like social contract(start out with rosseau), pacifism( read tolstoy, thoureau) and phsycological existentialism(when nietche wept is a book i was thiking about reading)

And everything should start up sometime, and then go forward and try to end with a book written no later than 1950. If you have any idea about what I should read, let me know, thanks,. and remember that im pretty new into political philosophy.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 06:06 pm
@stonescar,
Your choices for non-fiction are quite sound.

I'm more into fiction so let me suggest George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm and Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Both are 'dystopias', i.e. would-be utopias gone awry.

Re: social contract, starting with Rousseau is fine but don't neglect John Locke.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 07:08 pm
Glenn Tinder's Political Thinking: The Perennial Questions provides a survey of how important issues in political philosophy have been dealt with over the centuries.
0 Replies

shopnoguro

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 11:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes, Your idea is good enough. Go to the all Marxist writers. You will get a deep idea from all writings. I will suggest you not to avoid George Orwell. Political Philosophy Literature is a good topic too.
0 Replies