Can your brain falsify information?

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 06:08 am
If you're reading a book can your brain make you read a sentence that isn't actually in the book, also can this happen if you're reading an online article? Also if you went back to the source would you see the same faker sentence? How could this happen? Due to stress or over thinking, or what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,705 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 06:15 am
Self delusion is common enough, and some people are dyslexic--but being dyslexic myself, i've never known to "invent" entire sentences. Also, part of the method of overcoming dyslexia is to pay close attention to context. If something doesn't seem right, you re-read the passage until you find your error. Whether it were in print or online wouldn't matter. To repeat, though, i've never known it to "invent" entire sentences.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 08:12 am
@sebastianhoward64,
We misperceive all kinds of things in all kinds of situations. Think of unreliability of eyewitness accounts. As Setanta said, paying close attention to what you're reading can lessen the odds of misreading. Frequently, while skimming the newspaper, I'll misread a headline, see a word that's not the actual word, or pause at the wrong place, with the wrong emphasis or an alternate pronunciation..

Picture puzzles are a rich source of ambiguity. Which is the negative space, which is the figure. We can all be our own unreliable narrators.
Ragman

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 08:35 am
@nextone,
Mental misperceptions happen all over the place. I once thought I was married to someone but it turned out it was all in my mind.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 07:49 am
Myself, I was a little stunned after experiencing the McGurk effect while viewing the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0
0 Replies