Heart and Mind Closed for business.

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:29 pm
What is 'closure' of the heart and or mind?

Can the heart ever be closed?
Even if just for the night.

Can a mind ever be closed?
Even if just for the night.

Which one is more likely to be able to close, the heart or the mind?

Are not the very natures of the mind and or heart to always be open?

What things close a heart or mind?

Is a closure a deformity and un-natural?
Is a closure a necessity and natural?

Has your heart and mind ever been closed or opened?

What have you closed you heart and or mind to?
Are some things better left 'out of business'?
Is some closure good or bad?

Is openness better?

Is closure selfish self preservation?
Openness selfless self destruction?

Is ignorance open or closed?
Is awareness open or closed?

Is open the question?
Is closed the answer?

Thanks and please open and or close your self for a moment or two,
but please do it so I can see your business hours.
sometime sun

*answer one, some or all, better still ask your own*
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,988 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Twirlip

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:52 pm
@sometime sun,
Under New Management. Smile
Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@sometime sun,
That's a lot of questions to ask. Wink
sometime sun

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:30 pm
@Reyn,
Do you have any answers for any one of them?
Would you raise your eyebrow and suspect it if it were just one question?
Would you prefer I asked you just one? My favourite at the moment?
sometime sun

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:40 pm
@Twirlip,
That's quite funny Twirlip.

Do you think I should have managed the thread simpler?
Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 06:21 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Do you have any answers for any one of them?

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/schultz_180.jpg
I know nothing! Nothing!
djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 06:33 pm
interesting you'd bring this up

the other day i was listening to a BBC podcast about crime analysis, one of the criminologists was saying how good it was to solve a crime and bring closure to a family, one example he used was identifying a body that had been missing for almost 40 years

i found the discussion odd, after 40 years you would probably expect that the missing person was dead, but with no proof you could live in hope that maybe they just left to live a different life, i'd rather die thinking the latter than have the confirmation after all those years that they were dead
salima

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 06:40 pm
@sometime sun,
most people have minds that are closed to some subjects and not others, but the problem is that in order to keep the door locked on certain rooms, others end up also having to be locked so as not to allow access, and in a matter of time the mind gets smaller and smaller while the person who owns it doesnt even realize it is happening.

the heart on the other hand usually closes after being hurt...and if there is such a thing as healing for the heart, it tends to remain closed at least partially. the more the hurt, the more it closes, until it becomes like a dead thing, nothing more than a machine to pump blood.

both are survival mechanisms i believe...the mind is the upper layer of the heart really, they are in the same region of humanity. to open one means the other also becomes liable to attack; they have to protect each other's back.

people seldom consciously close their minds, but often their hearts.

i am sure my mind is still closed here and there, but i am working on it. the heart too is still closed here and there, but harder to open up after so long.

i remember when my mother was dying of cancer...i left my job and home and stayed with her for three months. she was particularly cruel to me then, but i did what i felt was right. i had no feeling for her for centuries already...but there was one moment, when i had to help her get out of the wheel chair and back into bed, (my brothers were not around at that moment though we were all three along with her boy friend co-caretakers) when i held her in my arms, my heart almost melted. but it didnt last long enough. it was bad for me, hardly mattered to her...it will always be my handicap.
sometime sun

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:05 pm
@Reyn,
This looks funny and familiar, who is it? please explain the joke for me.

I don't believe you know nothing.

If you do want to know something about this topic, or need anything explaining about it you need just ask.
Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:03 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

This looks funny and familiar, who is it? please explain the joke for me.

The photo is of Sgt. Schultz (played by John Banner) from the 1960s TV show called "Hogan's Heroes". "I know nothing" was Schultz's favourite recurring line.

Here's a link that will give more details.
0 Replies

Twirlip

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:14 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

That's quite funny Twirlip.

Do you think I should have managed the thread simpler?

I was just making a connection with your earlier question, as to whether souls could be bought or sold.

And I'm only just now belatedly connecting that earlier question with the odd fact (to me - and to you as well?) that a Philosophy Forum can be bought and sold!

It's been quite a wrench for you, particularly - provoking a lot of questions?
sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 02:48 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

interesting you'd bring this up

the other day i was listening to a BBC podcast about crime analysis, one of the criminologists was saying how good it was to solve a crime and bring closure to a family, one example he used was identifying a body that had been missing for almost 40 years

i found the discussion odd, after 40 years you would probably expect that the missing person was dead, but with no proof you could live in hope that maybe they just left to live a different life, i'd rather die thinking the latter than have the confirmation after all those years that they were dead

Yes would you rather know the world was going to end or would you rather not?
But it does make me wonder if 'not knowing' could in fact be the closure as much as the opening.
Is ignorance an opening or a closure?
What do you think?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 02:57 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:

most people have minds that are closed to some subjects and not others, but the problem is that in order to keep the door locked on certain rooms, others end up also having to be locked so as not to allow access, and in a matter of time the mind gets smaller and smaller while the person who owns it doesnt even realize it is happening.

the heart on the other hand usually closes after being hurt...and if there is such a thing as healing for the heart, it tends to remain closed at least partially. the more the hurt, the more it closes, until it becomes like a dead thing, nothing more than a machine to pump blood.

both are survival mechanisms i believe...the mind is the upper layer of the heart really, they are in the same region of humanity. to open one means the other also becomes liable to attack; they have to protect each other's back.

i am sure my mind is still closed here and there...

Ah Salima... now, I could have written those same words - but you have summed that up far better than I could have (I would have used way too many words) except my mind has many closed boxes and the heart will close down further

<nods along>

sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:07 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:

This sounds almost metaphysical to me.
Cna a mind ever be totally open that would not mean death?
What would a person with a totally open mind and heart conjoined look like?
Is this wisdom by any chance?
As an open mind is intelligent?
A open heart is compassionate?
A open mind and heart is wise?
(but I am sometimes of the mind that wisdom avoids and denies love to the most prosperous degree)
salima wrote:

Yes I agree, do you think that once a heart is closed once it can ever be truly opened again?
Does the heart learn?
Is the heart intelligent?
salima wrote:

Yes opening of one will mean guarding the other more tightly.
So is not this preparation this sometimes paranoia or even survival instinct against attack a closur ein its self?
Are not guards on the gate a tolled heart or mind?
salima wrote:

Can you choose ignorance?
Can you choose foolishness?
Are these closures?
Does faith open of close the heart or the mind?
salima wrote:

i am sure my mind is still closed here and there, but i am working on it. the heart too is still closed here and there, but harder to open up after so long.

So the heart learns from viewed behaviour?
Where as the mind is the seat of behaviour?
Is a closed mind or heart visible on someones skin? (their behaviour?)
salima wrote:

i remember when my mother was dying of cancer...i left my job and home and stayed with her for three months. she was particularly cruel to me then, but i did what i felt was right. i had no feeling for her for centuries already...but there was one moment, when i had to help her get out of the wheel chair and back into bed, (my brothers were not around at that moment though we were all three along with her boy friend co-caretakers) when i held her in my arms, my heart almost melted. but it didnt last long enough. it was bad for me, hardly mattered to her...it will always be my handicap.

I believe that when both the heart and mind go is when we tend to be our most cruel and dangerous.
It should be law to have an open heart and mind and against it to close any ones elses.
I know it can not make for a change, but it is not your handicap it is part of your strength.
So by this a once closed mind or heart can indeed make more for an even more open one in the future?

All my love dear Lady.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
@Twirlip,
Yes my life is plagued by coincidence after coincidence after coincidence.
Still trying to see if my unsold soul can find a place here to rest and call home.

Yes sadly hard and not getting much easier.
But I still wish to share the book I am writing somewhere, so I may have to buck up and hang my pictures regardless if they will be torn down.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:18 pm
@Izzie,
To you open my heart.
Izzie

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:44 pm
@sometime sun,
A few words can make so much difference.

Thank you.

<and welcome to A2K, pleased to meet you>
sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:38 pm
@Izzie,
The pleasure is mine.

Thank you for the welcome, it is well needed.
0 Replies