Kitchen knives

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 12:07 pm
Yeah, about the only thing chefs need apart from the three knives Walter alluded to is a filleting knife. I don't think Boom needs one of those, though.
roger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 02:27 pm
@boomerang,
No, the difference is the relationship between the handle and the cutting edge.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 02:39 pm
Boom, I've noodled on google and it looks like Michael Hemmer only sells through the blacksmith shop in Ferndale (I happen to like the place, very slightly know the owner of the shop and he slightly knew me as a gallery owner to the north).
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 02:45 pm
I'll add that I used to like the Japanese knives sold by the name MAC.
Well, I admired them from afar, only bought a small one.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:02 pm
@gungasnake,
That sounds like the knives osso posted about -- the way they're forged seems to make all the difference.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:06 pm
@Setanta,
I know I don't have to buy a set. I've never bought a set of anything cookware-wise.

I have a whetstone and a rod to sharpen my knives so I can maintain a blade. I'd just like to get a blade that doesn't require so much maintaining. I want some knives that are worth taking in to have professionally sharpened once in a while; ones that I'll never need to bother with or replace.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:07 pm
@patiodog,
A "reformed" chef!?

Haha!!

You should buy her a nice fillet knife for Valentine's Day this year.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:11 pm
@Setanta,
I love my fillet knife and it was CHEAP. It's never really used for anything too strenuous though so perhaps that's why it serves so well.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:14 pm
@ossobuco,
It looks like you end up on a waiting list for one of his knives but I don't know how up to date that website is. If it's current, the prices would make it worth the wait.

I do have to say -- I love it that you posted knives from an artist, some blacksmithing troubadour, not a factory. "That's so osso", I say to myself....
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:25 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah, and I like that I even know about that place. I'd just call them. I forget the Blacksmith Shop's owner's name (maybe Tom?), but I assume whoever is at the desk knows what's happening. They do have a website, but, hey.

I gave those knives as a wedding present. My friend is a culture snot of the first order and was nonplussed - knives? - but someone in her new family was a chef and said that was the best present of all of them.

I take it they are quite sharp (from some website I looked at). Henner's wife posted on the site to tell how they can be maintained. (sounded easy)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 09:03 am
I bought these http://www.victorinox.com/us/product/Cutlery/Category/Knife-Sets/3-Piece-Chef-39-s-Set/6.7000.3US1 based on recommendation from Cook's Illustrated. Very good knives.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 09:25 am
@Swimpy,
Btw: 'Wenger' (the other Swiss knife manufacturer) is owned (since 2005) by Victorinox
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 09:33 am
@Swimpy,
I love my Swiss army knife! I've had that thing forever and it has stayed very sharp. I'm going to take a close look at those! Thanks!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 07:15 pm
I was driving through my neighborhood the other day and noticed a new business - The Oaks Bottom Forge. In addition to selling knives they offer blacksmithing and knife making classes.

Since football season is over we've been looking for something cool for Mo to do after school. Unfortunately you have to be 15 to take their classes.

Still, it looks pretty cool so I thought I would share it with you all: http://www.oaksbottomforge.com/index.php?route=common/home
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 08:20 pm
@boomerang,
I was keen on the blacksmith shop in Ferndale.
I've no idea if that place is still in business or that the forge person is still associated. However, when I was there, they had extremely good knives.

I bought some as gifts, but not for myself (always the money).
0 Replies