How Do I Get My 7yr. old Son To Sleep in His Own Bed............

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 02:16 am
@aidan,
And that is why your 7 year old is sleeping with you, and your 15 years old is too.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 02:17 am
@maxdancona,
Yeah right.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 03:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Huh? I don't have a seven year old or a fifteen year old. My 23 year old son is living on his own in Vail, Colorado - we don't even live on the same continent. He's extremely well-adjusted and independent and has been sleeping in his own bed in his own room since he was a year old when we moved out of the one-bedroom apartment we were living in when he was born.

My 20 year old daughter lives at home but she also has been sleeping in her own bed in her own room since we adopted her at the age of four months.
And I never even had to use stickers or rewards - they just did it.

But just because my own children did not have the issues this little boy and other children do doesn't mean I can't understand that every child is different with different needs and you CANNOT expect all of them to respond and react identically to situations and stimuli.

I would NEVER lock my child in a room like an animal in a cage. If I did, I would not be surprised if that child developed serious emotional problems.
Bottom line.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 04:54 pm
@aidan,
Locking a child in their room is not like locking an animal in a cage.

In any case, I suggested they lock the child out of their room not in his room.
0 Replies

Father0694

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:42 pm
@jenn1974,
Put a toddler (if he fits) or twin bed next to your bed. Once they fall asleep just schlep them on into their own bed. They'll start waking up in that bed and voila soon enough it'll be their own kingdom. At the age of 7 it's really not a huge deal at most it's just a social stigma. Now if the child were 16 and sleeping in the parents bed then there may be reason for worry but for now it's not as huge of a deal as society implies.

The western world has a bunch of stigmas against sharing beds with children but according to anthropologists this activity is extremely common and accepted in many societies.

My kids are still young 2 & 4 but I don't mind sharing the bed. Especially in the winter, I mean, just as a matter of practicality it makes sense to share the bed to simply help stay warm. In my opinion it's fine. That is- perhaps until puberty kicks in..
0 Replies