SAW ZERO DARK THIRTY YESTERDAY!

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 09:27 am
Wow!

Lemme say that again: Wow!

Very seldom I get all worked up over a movie, but this one put me on edge until I finally slept it off.

Brutal...but it puts brutality in an unusual context.

After seeing it I question why some people think it advocats torture. I certainly didn't see it that way at all...and in fact, it seemed to go out of its way to simply present the "facts" (or fiction posing as facts)...and let them speak for themselves.

Some minor spoiler aspects follow. If you want to read them, pass your cursor over the empty space.

The torture definitely takes place...and the torture is graphic. Doesn't seem to be gratuitous...I am reasonably sure this **** did go down. The film does nothing to justify the torture...and in fact, the information that eventually leads to the killing of Usama Bin Laden comes primarily from hard, diligent intelligence work done independent of the torture. (There is some minor connection to the torture, but most of the torture yields very little...and never glorifies or rationalizes it. The torturers look like **** for doing it!)

In any case, spectacular picture in my opinion...and I wish Ed Asner and Martin Sheen would stop asking voters to boycott the film in the Academy Awards area. I personally think it deserves the award...and I think Kathryn Bigelow deserves the Best Director's award.

If you are into films that generate anxiety...I recommend it highly!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,761 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 06:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I probably won't go, but thanks for a contrary opinion.

My hearing, aided or not, just doesn't work with theater sound.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 06:49 am
@roger,
I have those problems myself, Roger (sans hearing aid).

But to be honest, the dialogue was so CIA technical...(and the director spared us from explanations)...that the action was how you had to follow the movie. Most of the movie could probably be watched with subtitles...and the conversations would make no sense...but at the same time, most of the movie could be watched without any words at all and a viewer could follow what is happening most of the time.
panzade

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 08:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
With The Hurt Locker and now this one, Bigelow is becoming a world class director.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 05:24 pm
@panzade,
25 minutes to the 18:50 screening. I'm excited!
0 Replies