Is working for an adult website a slight to a resumé?

SealPoet

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 05:22 am
What Olga said, and I'm suprised no one else said it first. You have an incredible reference here at A2K... and a fair number of character witnesses that'll tell your future employer just what kind of savvy, resourceful, dedicated, sunuvvabich you really are.

And if someone raises an eye about the adult website... either your screwed from the word go, because they have Moral issues, or you looke 'em square in the eye and say 'it was either that or flipping burgers...'
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 05:38 am
Craven

If you listed all the skills (big & small) you've employed in running A2K & Realm it would be a very impressive list .... Everything from the technical stuff, marketing, promotion, communication, advising on resolving technical problems, moderating, etc, etc, etc ..... All a potential employer would need to do is check out A2K to see that it's all true. I find it hard to believe that EVERY employer in the IT field would be so limited that they would only consider IT graduates over someone whose achieved what you have.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:11 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
My thinking is that the nature of the company might be a downside for their hiring which would be an upside for me being able to get my foot in the door without any education (yet).

Thing is, that might also be a downside for me as well.

I think it depends on how you plan to get into your real job. If you intend to make contact with a techie at your prospective employer first, and HR only does the paper work after the hiring decision is made by some techie in management, you'll be okay. As I'm sure you know, the techie community is pretty freewheeling.

If your first contact with your first Real Employer is through a HR person, I'd say it depends on timing. If you are working for NaughtyChicks.com now, conservative HR departments will have a problem, and no technical person will ever get to interview you in first place. But if you say in four years "I have a degree from Berkeley, and I've earned my way through college at NaughtyChicks.com", it's going to be just a nice little human interest story that makes you interesting.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
I looked up the name and it actually isn't half bad (though I won't be disclosing it here). I'd thought it was the name of a firm they were using to hire employees.
0 Replies