Computer Engineering, Computer Science & Information Science

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:35 pm
Craven, let me know what comes up. My uncle has lots of IT contacts in the Washington D.C. area and could prolly help you out a bit...I just need to get there first though.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
You headin' to DC instead of Floriduh?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:40 pm
Yeah. Beaches sound nice, but if I went south it'd be with no job prospects & no place to stay right off the bat (plus no driver's license or high school diploma). By going up north I can take care of the first 2 issues better.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:46 pm
Any ETA yet?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:55 pm
Yeah, mid to late April.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 07:10 am
For someone without a degree or without a degree in a computers-type field, certification can be very helpful. It depends, though, as not all certifications are created equally. Generally, look for something on an established technology or field, or with an established school. So Microsoft or Oracle is good, or Java programming or Project Management is good, but if there were such a thing as PHP certification, it might not be so good, at least not right now. Some certifications require classroom instruction (Oracle does).

Certification classes are not cheap and they are no guarantee of a job, but they are a measurable statement of your qualifications. Plus, tuition is deductible if you itemize your taxes. You'd need to look at salaries (see www.salary.com or look in www.monster.com) and also look at current opportunities.

If the software you want to study is only mentioned in a handful of job openings across the country, that could mean that it's a rare skill and employers will pay well for it. Or, it could mean that it's a skill that's on it's way out of favor, or that it's been replaced by something better or that it's an idea whose time has not yet come. If what you want to study is more common, it will mean more opportunities and you'll have a better chance of getting a job, particularly if you aren't tied to one geographic area, but at the same time it also means there is more competition so salaries could be lower.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 10:07 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
George,

I have a question for a "learn on the fly" guy like yourself.

I could teach myself most of the things I'd learn in college for these things, but how easy would it be to break into the market?

For example, if I were to teach myself a programming language could I get jobs? Or would it be hard without a degree?

I can only speak for the New England area, but things are fairly tight here right now. There are lots of jobs, but many more applicants. I started doing this a very long time ago (late 70s). The company I was working for actually trained me as a programmer. After I built up a couple of years of experience, there heaps of opportunites for me.

But lately things have gotten tougher and tougher. After I was laid off a software engineering job last year, the only job I could get was as an integration & test engineer here. And that largely because I knew someone here who helped get me an interview.

Things might be easier for a young guy with freshly-acquired knowledge in one of the hot areas. JSEE and .Net seem to be much in demand, but most of the listings I see are asking for a degree plus experience. In this market, they can afford to be choosy.

I hope this is not too dismal a picture. If I were a hiring manager, I'd pick you up in a heartbeat. Good luck!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
Arg, that reminds me, I use and learn technologies that aren't really popular in business. For things like A2K PHP knowledge makes sense, but for work I should probably be learning ASP or something.
0 Replies