Murder & Attempted Murder

gollum

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 12:22 pm
Where can I find statistics on number of murders and attempted murders both in New York City and in the United States?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,650 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 12:53 pm
@gollum,
google
gollum

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 01:47 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you.

I tried the search argument:
crime statistics "new york" 2011 2012

but received mostly advertisements. I was also told that I can contact my local police department. I was hoping to find the information on the Internet. I checked the New York Police Department website but did not find the data.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 01:57 pm
@gollum,
Keep at it Gol, I can almost assure eventual success Googling varied entries
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 03:42 pm
@gollum,
Try typing in "Crime statistics NYC". I did and got about 600,000 hits (no exaggeration).
gollum

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 04:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks. But it still doesn't include attempted murder.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 06:52 pm
@gollum,
I'm not sure what kind of statistics would even be kept on so-called attempted murder. The only time it would actually go on record is if the accused were brought to trial. But there must be thousands of incidents that don't even get investigated any too thoroughly and therefore leave practically no paper trail. Not so with murder which is an act of some finality. Murder statistics tend to be pretty complete and accuate even if the killer is never found and brought to trial.
gollum

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 07:35 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Possibly your right. I thought sometimes a person tries to murder a second person. However, he may wound the victim without killing him. Then he is charged with attempted murder.

The reason I asked the question is that I had read that the murder rate has declined. Then I read a claim by one man that actually emergency room doctors are saving more victims and that the reason for the decline in the murder rate is that the victim doesn't die and so the crime is reported as an attempted murder.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 07:43 pm
@gollum,
Interesting. And probably true. What I would suggest you try and do is this: instead of trying to look up 'attempted murder', do some research on 'assault' or 'assault with a deadly weapon' (known as ADW in police jargon). The would-be murderer would probably be brought to trial on the assault charge rather than an attempted murder charge which is much harder to prove. I mean the perpetrator can always claim that he wasn't trying to kill his victim, merely scare him/her. How are you going to prove otherwise? But an assault charge is relatively easy to prosecute.
0 Replies