Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 02:26 pm
I'm astounded with all the proposed gun legislation dealing with the results of mental disturbance, not its cause. Since there will always be lots of guns and bullets to be found by the aberrant, it seem to me the obvious way, prevention, entails child mental health

Since parenthood has been a disastrous failure with these shooters, it seems apparent, to me anyway, that in-school detection and treatment is the only feasible approach. While the gun lobby would like to establish a presence in every school, a more realistic course is instead a pediatric behavioral expert, with training of teachers also. Can't derangement be prevented or at least ameliorated by catching and treating potential deviancy at grade-school level

That is, long before the kid reaches his teens and it's too late. However my premise has for some reason acquired virtually no attention, as contrasted with the arch-conservative universal call for gun control. Why

Thus is it a widespread assumption--even by the Liberal Faction--that dementia is inborn, that youngsters simply can't be reached by any known remedial technique

Why am I alone in this puzzlement, where has my thinking gone stray
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 930 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 03:00 pm
@dalehileman,
In our Friendly Local Fourth Estate, Victorville, Ca Daily Press this morn, Report: US health is lousy, Gun use emerged as a factor: Americans were seven times more likely to die in a homicide and 20 times more…. in a shooting than their peers [abroad]….two-thirds of the mortality disadvangtage….attributable to people under the age of 50
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 03:13 pm
@dalehileman,
sounds impressive. How do you propose going about it?

when we have criminal cases wherein defenses are built based upon impaired mental states, we always have a mental health "expert" on the other side willing to argue in the negative.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 03:19 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
sounds impressive.

Why thanks farm

Quote:
How do you propose going about it?
Not sure how to answer. In the OP I had proposed the mental therapist and teach training. If you're asking how I might persuade my conservative opponents, I don't think it's feasible

Quote:
…...criminal cases wherein defenses……. have a mental health "expert" on the other side…….
Okay but how does this observation impinge upon my prop
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 04:34 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Since parenthood has been a disastrous failure with these shooters, it seems apparent, to me anyway, that in-school detection and treatment is the only feasible approach. While the gun lobby would like to establish a presence in every school, a more realistic course is instead a pediatric behavioral expert, with training of teachers also.

It's not really the so called 'gun lobby' that wants an armed presence... why can't we do both and be sure we stop attackers that are already in the pipeline?
KnivesSwitchblade

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 07:48 pm
@dalehileman,
Hello Members,

Why do you think that you are in puzzlement? I think you are not.

Thanks and Regards,
Knives Switchblade
tenderfoot

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 07:55 pm
@dalehileman,
Excellent post.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 08:31 pm
@dalehileman,

You have no conservative opponents, they identified the issue as a mental problem long before you did.
Guns don't kill people, mentally disturbed people kill people with all sorts of weapons including guns.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 01:08 pm
@KnivesSwitchblade,
Quote:
…...in puzzlement? I think you are not.
Why thank you Blade but I assure you it's genuine. I simply can't understand why early detection and treatment gets so little attention compared to the notion of additional gun legislation
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 01:12 pm
@tenderfoot,
Quote:
Excellent post.
Why thank you Ten, a little encouragement is rare and appreciated in this otherwise dolorous fulmination of perfunctory recrudescence and convoluted redoubt
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 01:21 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
You have no conservative opponents,
Yes, no, man, I am only guessing that the lib faction would be more likely to agree

Quote:
they [the conservative faction?] identified the issue as a mental problem long before you did.
I'm sure you're right about that but the everyone seems more concerned with legislating the result, terrorism--that is by gun control--than addressing the cause--that is the failure of Society as a Whole and The Schools in particular with early detection and treatment

Quote:
Guns don't kill people, mentally disturbed people kill people with all sorts of weapons including guns.
Yes improved mental health would benefit the entire world in many ways
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 01:26 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
why can't we do both and be sure we stop attackers that are already in the pipeline?
http://able2know.org/topic/205813-1#bottom
0 Replies