Django

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 09:17 am
went and saw it and although I enjoyed the movie there were times when you would realize people were literally treated just like this not that long ago and it was disturbing and horrifying. You know what's more horrifying? Lots of right wing blogs are spinning this to make it about Jamie Foxx hating white people and attaching the popularity of the film to white liberal guilt. Eat **** you stupid fucks. I don't question that there is racism among blacks as well as whites, I experienced it growing up, and that it's just as wrong. I do however, think that if my people had been treated that way only a few generations back it might be fresh in my mind still and I might harbor some pretty strong resentment.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 09:29 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Not to mention, Jamie Foxx is an actor, and someone else wrote the words that he's regurgitating on screen.

Of course, Quentin Tarantino just loves to **** with people.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 09:31 am
@DrewDad,
apparently a great deal of the hubbub is about Jamie saying he gets to kill white people on SNL and a Vibe interview he did where he basically says race effects his life on a daily basis.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 09:37 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Actor goes on comedy show and says something edgy.... Gee, let's get the electric drill to help us twist our panties up.

A bunch of white guys getting upset because a black person talks about being black? Yup... Foxx is definitely the racist one. LMAO.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 09:41 am
@DrewDad,
"If white people are losing, who's winning?"- Chris Rock Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 09:45 am
Thanks for getting a discussion going about this movie. Great comments so far, you all. This is a sensitive subject about an important social issue that has my (and the public-at-large's) attention focused.

Like with the effects of the movie Roots did, I also recognize the desire by some of these principles involved to generate publicity for themselves (movie makers and media) but also get people to discuss and see the racism (of all flavors) as it existed in the past and exists today.

After more soul-searching, perhaps (hopefully) there'll be more good that will come of this...raising more awareness about the inhumanity and history of racism. Seeing the movie Lincoln also provided a valuable insight to the abolitionist and the history of racism in our young 'democracy'.

The ssd realization is that the people that might benefit the most from such consciousness-raising wouldn't be caught dead seeing such a movie. Us liberals will go and discuss it amongst ourselves - the choir preaching to the other members of the choir. however I will not be so small-minded and biased as to say it's only liberals who are against racism. Conservatives also are against it, too.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:26 am
Some comments about the film by Tarantino in the link below. He discusses his motivations and the portrayal of slavery in some depth.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/02/168200139/quentin-tarantino-unchained-and-unruly
0 Replies