stone wall and fireplace questions

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 08:28 pm
I have a house with stone accents around the entrance and a concrete retaining wall extending from the foundation(poured) along the driveway. I would like to stone this wall to match the house, where would I buy the stone to do this and would I have to cut them flat on one side or would they be precut. also, am finishing my basement,(completely above ground) and would like to add a fireplace. the best place is to do this is below my existing upstairs fireplace.(prefabricated). would it be possible to do this and tie into the existng chimney pipe or should I build a completely new one else Question where.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,283 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 02:15 am
Where I live I have a couple of options. First, you'll need to find out exactely what kind of stone it is.
Are you planning on doing this yourself?
If you aren't, take to a bricklayer, look one up in the BBB. Get referals, ect.
If you are, visit either a local homebuilder centre or a garden store, you even find someone who sells rocks of all makes and sizes. Or if it's fairly local ie. river rock, you might get a truck and go searching yourself. You'll need to rent a saw and a concrete blade, have plenty of water handy to cool the blade, and begin to saw them in the dimentions you need. You'll need some heavy duty concrete/adhesive and a good back.
Or you might try some of the new rock like siding products, some of these products are amazing. Made usually of composite materials, very durable, a pretty decent selection of styles with half the labour.
0 Replies