Google Earth Installation / DirectX Error

CDobyns

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 07:22 pm
I recently upgraded my laptop's hard drive to a larger size, which required a re-installation of well, nearly everything. As far as I can tell, I've reinstalled everything (hardware) virtually to how it was previously, but I'm having trouble with my reinstallation of Google Earth - which had worked without any issues under the previous installation.

I've tried installing/uninstalling/reinstalling Google Earth a number of times, but each time I seem to get this error dialog box:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z319/CGDobyns/GoogleEarthDialog_zps622269f0.jpg

As far as I can tell, my display settings are correct, I've waited "a minute", no other 3D applications running, I've confirmed that DirectX 9.0c is installed - but yet I still get this dialog box. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 7,655 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 11:22 pm
@CDobyns,
One of the results in this Google search for that error phrase should have some answers for you:

Google search for Google Earth direct x mode not supported
CDobyns

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 07:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
I put a lot of faith in this suggestion - although it turned out to be a loser. Not that the suggestion was a "loser" - it just didn't prove to be a winning combination for me.

I thought for sure I would go into the Display panel and find that the Hardware Acceleration or the Enable Write Combining (slider or checkbox) were not optimized for DirectX - but no such luck. They were both "enabled" as they should be.

This is quite perplexing, given that this hardware (laptop) and previous software configuration, have successfully run Google Earth previously. Any other suggestions of different alternatives to try?

This results from the Run command, using dxdiag, certainly seems to suggest that DirectX is installed correctly.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z319/CGDobyns/Dxdiag_zpsd7beb06a.jpg
0 Replies

fenderbender

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 08:42 am
Have same problem, its happened both on my desktop and my laptop at the same time, same day, have used google earth for years without any issues. Have tried everything but no luck.
CDobyns

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:02 pm
@fenderbender,
I'm not sure this is The Solution, but borrowing from some of the upstream guidance and a little more research - the answer seems to be that if you're experiencing the DirectX Error, you need to uninstall Google Earth, and try rolling back to a previous version.

I located the previous versions at http://support.google.com/earth/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=168344, under Google Earth (free version) Direct Installer Links, and version 6.X seemed to restore my earlier functionality - including the Google Street View. I'm not sure that if the auto-upgrader were to prompt, that I would recommend "accepting", but it might be worth a try, and if you can get the initial functionality under the prior version, it might carry forward to the upgrade.

If anyone comes up with a different solution, or if the upgrade to the current version is found to also work - let us know.
0 Replies

praanay123

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 04:20 am
i can install google earth in my pc at that time some error to show
0 Replies