(Answered by A2K Geniuses) Simple question for Comp. expert.

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:27 pm
I recently destroyed some registry files Windows2000Pro with Hijackthis. I know, that's not simple to fix.
Since I couldn't figure it out, I put XP on the D partition of a second drive that came out of my last destroyed computer.

Here is the simple question:
How do I put the Outlook Express shortcut Icon on the tray next to the start button?

If that one is too easy; perhaps you know this one too. How do I set the bios to recognize that other hard drive as a slave? I have put the jumper where the map says, but the computer won't boot into XP if that drive is connected. Can I connect it while the system is running?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,926 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Jer

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:36 pm
Icon next to start butto...
Bill,

The easiest way to put a program button on your taskbar is to create a shortcut on the desktop and then drag it onto your taskbar. Once you've created the quick-launch button on your taskbar, you can then delete the shortcut on the desktop.

Make sure you've got "Show Quick Lauch" checked in your taskbar properties.

Cheers,

-Jer-
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:36 pm
Re: #1... Right-click any area within the "Quick Launch bar" other than the icons themselves, then click Open Folder. From there, you can add anything you want. The actual path to that folder is C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\

Now fer #2..
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:37 pm
Looks like Jer & I posted at the same time Mr. Green
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:38 pm
Monger - I'll let you deal with the BIOS question Wink
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:57 pm
Worked too! Thanks guys!
Anbody want to tackle #2?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:02 pm
Well, for starters remove any other devices like CD drives that're connected to the HD controllers on the motherboard while you're testing this. Are you sure this drive you've set as slave is connected to the same ribbon cable as a drive set as master? Can you boot to it if you set it as master and remove all your other drives?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:10 pm
Re: Simple question for Computer expert.
OCCOM BILL wrote:
How do I set the bios to recognize that other hard drive as a slave?

There's no setting in the BIOS to specify a HD as master or slave. One thing you might wanna do is double check that any HD detection settings in your BIOS setup program are set to Auto.
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I have put the jumper where the map says, but the computer won't boot into XP if that drive is connected. Can I connect it while the system is running?

No, turn off the computer before connecting/disconnecting parts.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:20 pm
Monger wrote:
Well, for starters remove any other devices like CD drives that're connected to the HD controllers on the motherboard while you're testing this. Is this drive you've set as slave connected to the same ribbon cable as a drive set as master?
Yes, same ribbon cable. It is set to auto-detect.
The one I'm using now (XP) at first wouldn't show up at all if both were connected...
Then I switched the jumper to "slave", and since if both are connected it will attempt to boot from CD if that's in the boot order... or it will hang up on "Push F10"
I've monkeyed with the boot order with no luck.
(You do mean disconnect ribbon from CD drive while testing, correct?)
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:36 pm
I'm not completely clear on the situation (bear with me)...

OK so you have 2 hard drives. After you connected the second one (which has WinXP installed), your computer no longer boots to the first hard drive (with Win2K installed) at all. Yes? No? Way off?

Are you trying to do something else like set up a dual boot system where you can boot to either OS?

...sun's coming up so I'm off for bed...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:47 pm
Nope. System will only boot up on XP if that hard drive is the only one connected. My wish is to be able to boot up on the XP hard drive, and still be able to access files from the Win2000 drive. When I connect both, XP drive is not recognized.
Go ahead and get some sleep... this is no emergency... and you super cool to be helping me at all!
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:55 pm
More difficult of the two questions...
Bill,

So you've got it set up that the drive w/ XP is your master and your "data drive" the one with W2K is your slave?

Your XP drive is the one that is set to boot?

That should all work fine.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:06 pm
LOL, that's what I used to think. The XP hard drive did work in this configuration as the slave prior to me wrecking the Win2000 drive's registry files. I can't seem to get it to work in reverse.

I should also note that the damage to the registry files only makes it so it doesn't recognize the CD drive or my Satelitte modem. Everything else appears OK.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:20 pm
have you physically set your W2K drive to slave - jumpers??
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:27 pm
Yep
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:36 pm
When you boot up do you get a boot option screen, asking which drive to boot from? Can you get into the Win2K drive at all? If so, howabout just reinstalling Win2K right on top of the currently corrupted version ... is there a reason you haven't tried that? Dunno for sure if that'll fix things, or even if its likely too, but from what I've read here of your dillema, its something I might try.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:25 pm
Right now I can't get into the drive at all. I'm afraid to install W2K on top, because I have no way of backing up my files because the CD and Modem files were destroyed in the registry. If I reset the jumper to make the W2K drive the master; then I can't get into the XP drive... Plus can't do anything but save files on 3.5 floppys.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:53 pm
Now you see why current registry backups are a good idea Mr. Green

So you can use the XP drive OK, huh? I mean, with full peripheral and removeable media support?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 07:00 pm
As far as I know; my XP drive is flawless. All updates, firewall, Virus Protection, hell... I don't even allow 3rd party cookies anymore. It operates all of the hardware fine too. It knows when I shove the Digital Camera cord into the USB and auto-loads the appropriate program. I think I'm going to like it better than W2K. I thought I had backed up my registry... but Embarrassed
Tell me; can I damage anything by trying different jumper settings? It just dawned on me that when I had it working opposite of my current goal; that one drive was set to be master, and the other may not have been set to anything special. Is that a possibility?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 07:49 pm
Its possible ... odd but possible. So ... the Win2K drive is unavailable? You can't get into it at all?
0 Replies