All-in-one desktop computers?

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 07:10 pm
I think I need a new computer and wondered whether an All-in-One Desktop computer might be advisable.

I would appreciate knowing the pros and cons of these.

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 07:32 pm
@Advocate,
Sorry but I'm pretty familiar with a lot of types of desktop computers but maybe you could explain what exactly you mean by what you feel an all-in-one computer entails?

Market speak by computer companies like HP and Mac call their desktop computers all-in-one...but to me it's meaningless. What specific functions do you need a computer to do for you?
Advocate

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 03:13 pm
@Ragman,
I am, of course, talking about the computers in which the CPU is built into he monitor.

I use the computer for the usual stuff. I don't do gaming or photo-shopping. I surf, play the market, do able2know, etc.

I am concerned that the all-in-one may give me aggravation that a regular PC would not.
roger

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 03:29 pm
@Advocate,
I don't know about this stuff either, but maybe you should be asking questions about future repairs. This sounds somewhat like a laptop, and repairs have been known to be more expensive, and with fewer interchangable parts than a conventional desktop. Again, I'm not saying I know that to be true, but it would be a part of the decision.
0 Replies

Zoidberg

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 02:44 pm
@Advocate,
I have one and i love it! It's an Acer, with the touch screen... don't know the model tough, i didn't buy it myself.
Advocate

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 10:12 am
@Zoidberg,
Zoidberg wrote:

I have one and i love it! It's an Acer, with the touch screen... don't know the model tough, i didn't buy it myself.

If you don't mind, would you please tell me the pros and cons of your computer.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 10:23 am
@Zoidberg,
Zoidberg wrote:

I have one and i love it! It's an Acer, with the touch screen...
don't know the model tough, i didn't buy it myself.
It sounds good.
Advocate

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 10:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David, long time! How are you?

Advocate
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 10:44 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

David, long time! How are you?

Advocate
Fine thank u.
I 'm getting ready to move to Florida (from NY).

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 11:24 am
@Advocate,
Let me help. I have an ACER and I'll be happy to help with the cons. The power switch is failing on mine. It's so bad that I log off and flip the switch on the surge protector. Otherwise, I may never get the gosh darn thing back on. Given the costs of repair, I just may have to replace it because of a dinky little switch.

I checked in with the repair shop, and the cost of a jury rigged repair is greater than the value of the computer. I contacted ACER parts for a replacement, and it turns out they don't sell or make a separate switch. It is a part of the "front bezel", which can probably be ordered for 39.95 + shipping. Then you gotta add in the shop charge.

By the way, the repair guy checked his sources and couldn't find a switch, but he did learn that switches are a big issue with ACER products. Newer models may be using higher quality parts, but this is not a good indication. Also, the power switch on the monitor is a little problematical, too.

If you check my profile, you will find a thread I started on this very issue.

Thanks for asking. I am not bashful about sharing my experience with ACER.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 11:46 am
@Advocate,
Cons: More expensive then a laptop but without the real portability of a laptop. Much more expensive then a desktop but with a very limited ability to upgrade the hardware (if you can actually upgrade) at a later date.

I'd say get a laptop or a desktop computer. These all-in-one's are goofy gimmicks AKA the mediocrity of both worlds.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 12:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's about my take on them.

They're made to sell, not to use.

Sure, they look nice with fewer cables, but the functionality just isn't there.
Advocate

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 04:43 pm
@DrewDad,
Thanks to everyone for the good advice.
0 Replies