Rex asks, who is She and why

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:11 pm
In another thread

http://able2know.org/topic/205018-2#post-5215234

…..appear a number of interesting q's, my entirely unsatisfactory answers to which being somewhat OT, present I herewith, with many thanks to Rex its perpetrator

Quote:
The premise, to scientifically provide some evidence as to why spirituality really exists... Something that physically quantifies its presence.
I'd not specify "physically." According to the general principle that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else, there's considerable reality on the scale of abstraction between a rock, say, at (or near) one end and God at the Other

Quote:
Oh, because Abraham saw an angel... Therefore, the spirit exists.
Indeed, absolute proof, undeniable

Quote:
We know we exist,
Some would disagree but let's assume that for the sake of argument

Quote:
we know we are alive with some sort of life force that we genetically pass on to offspring.
Sorry Rex but it's an illusion. Imagine for instance each damp cell in your brain is replaced one at a time by its dry semiconductor equivalent. At no moment could you tell the difference

Quote:
We know the earth is our home and our universe a wondrous place. We share this life with many other forms of life.
I'd have to agree. Even with only one inhabitable planet per galaxy a very conservative estimate shows that there must be at least 100 quintillion of us, and that is pretty wondrous

Quote:
Where is the world beyond this?
According to the general principle that the simplest answer almost always proves the ultimate truth, there just simply isn't one. We're it

Quote:
How do we quicken our spirits and transcend into this immortal state?
Alas, wishful thinking Rex. However if you consider your soul everything about you except your body, then yes you do indeed carry on. However of course at death the feeling and thinking part does diminish a bit

Quote:
How do we measure and comprehend the effect that religion is having on the world?
In any way you wish

Quote:
Just for the sake of arguing, is religion good or bad?
You're asking on behalf of the humanoid of course, not for instance the porker whom we (Christians, etc) hang up by the legs and cut his throat so he bleeds to death before slaughtering and consuming him

Otherwise you're all welcome to argue, after all that's what a2k is for

Quote:
Is a person only as good as their religion?
Forgive me Rex but isn't that a sort of a silly q depending on how you define your terms. Ah well, that's why we do this isn't it

Okay Christianity is 13 percent better than Islam in the treatment of women but 4 percent lesser than the Bestiarian

Quote:
That even atheists probably have a religion.
You're inviting us to go 'round in circles. All right, as an apodictical existential pantheist I respond, yes Rex, I do find something mysterious about The Entire Megillah, and I'd agree it seems the humanoid plays an important part in it

Call Her God if you like. But as for the mechanism, I leave that up to other participants

As a former member of his clan I suppose the atheist might respond that There wasn't a creation, it entails too many contradictions, there was always a Universe. Recently in fact there's some evidence that all the constants are interdependent, that the World is the way it is because it can't be any other way. He would conclude, "Any more questions?"

Quote:
Are any of these religions true?
Yes, mine

Quote:
Is the purpose of religion itself?
Largely to reassure the indecisive

Quote:
Behind the mask of these religions are there Gods that cheat,
So they accuse one another

Quote:
is there some real God that we all should reveal?
Yes, mine

Quote:
I would surmise that "goodness" starts with a purity of heart, single-mindedness and honesty, trust... A desire to be good.
….depending on of course what you consider good. The Christian, Islamist, and the pig all have different ideas about that

If the last were in charge, intelligence would be considered a vice. We would be housed in muddy pens but he probably wouldn't torture us before slaughter

Quote:
You can get by without these things I guess.
Some do or so we can suppose

Quote:
Is that spirituality?
Is what

Are you asking, Rex, if what we now consider evil should be called spiritual

Forgive, Rex, but some of us are unwilling to backtrack

Quote:
Is spirituality infectious? Can it be passed on like a copy of data?
One's "soul" is largely the product of cause and effect, surely passed on in every way septillions of times 'til the next Big Crunch

Quote:
Some connect the way you live with the spirit you are occupied by.
Your behavior is determined almost entirely by circumstance, including your soul

Quote:
Is this a spiritual rental or spiritual option to buy?
There's validity to freewill that affords this choice, but only about 1% effective

Quote:
Religion tries to explain why people are bad.
Of course, and with each its own. They all "mean well" but most suffer from a "subconscious" motive, that is to maintain control over their flock. Power corrupts and discourages independent thought

Quote:
Does that make religion bad too? It can be argued so.
Again, this is what a2k is for isn't it. I'd maintain that some are "better" than others but from the humanoid perspective, not that of the pig, whale, or the unfortunate monkey bred for research

Why should She so prefer the creature of higher intelligence--since it's the only one intent on destroying itself

Quote:
If the religion is not true. How do we know the spirit is true?
In most cases it simply isn't, it's serving its own need. Anyhow Rex you're assuming a sort of dualism--or if you like trialism--which the pantheist will deny on the basis of so much resulting contradiction and paradox

She is a natural phenom, just as is matter and energy. She doesn't have all that much choice; she can't do the impossible because the impossible can't be done. The only feasible way to permit evolution of a humanoid is on a rocky sphere full of cracks, with a molten core under pressure, orbiting gigantic hydrogen bomb of questionable stability and certainly limited duration

So we have volcanoes, evil, disease, strife, privation, catastrophe; its just the way things hafta be

Quote:
Are we imagining things and living our lives by fantastical ideas that have no basis whatsoever in reality?
In large part. However there's much truth to some religion, in symbolic or abstract terms. For instance some maintain that She is everywhere at all times, whereupon the pantheist replies, why of course that's pretty obvious isn't it

…the Universe being Her body and all the activity therein Her mind at work

But wouldn't it be great if somehow we were somehow granted the ability to skirt cause and effect in favor of sheer reason

Quote:
Yet billions subscribe daily. ...so easily drawn into believing with eyes and ears, led by the bells rung to softly spoken words of reverence...
Rex, really well put, better by far than my rantings
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,039 • Replies: 6
No top replies

nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:44 pm
@dalehileman,
What about:

In a million conversations, all as ridiculously expansive sideways outward and.. Forward of sorts.. How come I have not discovered absolutely every answer which was, according to religion, squarely along the centered balance line?.

You have, you just did not wind the window down and ask, whilst others tutted at your emotional spite whilst you ignored it.

Wheres that question?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:58 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
we know we are alive with some sort of life force that we genetically pass on to offspring.

Sorry Rex but it's an illusion. Imagine for instance each damp cell in your brain is replaced one at a time by its dry semiconductor equivalent. At no moment could you tell the difference

Shouldn't that have read, "Sorry Rex, but it MAY BE an illusion?"

Or do you know for certain that it is?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:17 pm
@nothingtodo,
Quote:
did not wind the window down and ask
Forgive me Tod but ask what

Quote:
whilst others tutted at your emotional spite
Who Tod is that

I didn't think I was being in the least spiteful
dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Shouldn't that have read, "Sorry Rex, but it MAY BE an illusion?"
Yes Frank, maybe so
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 04:05 am
@dalehileman,
It was merely an answer about questions. Thats all, nothing personal.
Sorry.. Philosophically empty of direct focus of argument.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 12:03 pm
@nothingtodo,
Quote:
Sorry..
No need to apologize

Quote:
Philosophically empty of direct focus of argument.
But expressed with a certain subtlety of language that the Preternaturally Lazy Average Clod (me) might not undertake
0 Replies