Tie Rods and Drag Linkage...

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:16 am
(First, let me say I do not trust the auto reapir industry. Period. I don't mind paying for legitimate repairs, but I never know what's legitimate)

That said, my wife had four new tires put on her Grand Cherokee (65K miles). She was informed that the car needs new tie rods and drag linkage (whatever that is). The quoted price was $410 for the 4-5 hour job. The question is why the drag linkage is under the extended warranty and the tie rods not. (I have to locate the warranty, which may answer the question, but for now....) Also, her brother (a mechanic) says the job should take MUCH less time. Any thoughtr here?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,122 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:27 pm
Tie rods are a "typical wear" item much like the tires themselves. They wear as the car is used and it's known that you'll have to replace them so they usually aren't covered under warranty (just like the tires, oil filters, belts and wipers..). Drag linkage SHOULDN'T wear and it's odd that your's has to be replaced. The front end on that thing must have taken a serious jolt or the tie-rod ends are so far gone that the drag linkage warped.

I would have guessed that it wouldn't take 4-5 hours to replace these either but I'm not famaliar with newer Jeeps to know. I would normally guess 2-3 hours tops. (They will have to realign the front end as a part of this but that's only a half-hour job..)
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:41 pm
Thanks, fishin'
Thanks for the reply. We've since found under the warranty, tie rods are covered - the linkage is not.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 08:13 pm
If anyone's still listening...
...turns out all components were covered! We have a decent extended warranty and my father-in-law knows his stuff. He pointed out the error of their ways! They listened.
0 Replies