TO BOT OR NOT TO BOT

dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 12:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Who knows where it'll stop?
Lust you've made my entire day, and that's especially noteworthy on a monday morn

Tho still puzzled by the Bot Phenom
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 01:00 pm
@margo,
Quote:
sanewarne may have responded to me, but missed the point of my comment entirely.
Forgive me Margo but a quick scroll reveals no earlier posting that might explain this one

Thus for the benefit of the Average Clod (me) who might be unwilling or just not smart enough you might have included a little background, eg, "Concerning Freebie's response #…917 suggesting that the Saneware approach might have prevented my subsequent embarrassment, I was entirely misunderstood, for which I herewith apologize

"What I mean, was, that I had researched the question presented by Brikkie Foibles (username Gargarblink) in posting #….842 of the thread entitled, "Giving up the automatic editing cps" submitted several weeks ago but subsequently deleted owing to the suggestion that it was a commercial venture promoting my software, which was accused of contributing to the Thursday tieup

"….and which I herewith deny, so….

"I'm still thinking bot"

Quote:
@margo,
Exactly my thoughts.
Wow Set, how on earth……..
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 01:07 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
saying that after much time the bot creators might be figuring out that their original modus operandi is not as successful as once though
Thank you most kindly Dj, wish I possessed your patience and though

…Forgive me Dj, couldn't resist
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 01:09 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
between a smart bot and a dumb person. They seem to be meeting each other half way.
Why thank you Ros
margo

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 02:32 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi, Dale

In the very first line of his initial post, Setanta included a clickable link to another thread, in which a poster, who, we suspected, was a bot, responded to both tsarstepan and to me. His/it's response to me, although vaguely related, was not relevant to the query I made.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:20 pm
@margo,
Thank you Margo, amazed to learn t'was even more complex than I had imagined
margo

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:25 pm
@dalehileman,
Thanks, Dale

We still don't know if the poster was real or not.

The name, sanewarne, is very similar to a famous Australian cricketer, Shane Warne, better known these days for his liaison with Liz Hurley, and a fondness for baked beans!
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:38 pm
@margo,
Lord mercy, Margo, I'm sure that was a subtle jest, but I'm just too lazy to backtrack and maybe too old and thick-headed even to understand
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:49 pm
@margo,
Well, duh! I've asked a few questions, and gotten answers not even vaguely related to the question, and this from people I've known for years.
margo

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 06:46 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, duh! I've asked a few questions, and gotten answers not even vaguely related to the question, and this from people I've known for years.

yeah, but!!!!!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 08:37 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
between a smart bot and a dumb person. They seem to be meeting each other half way.
Why thank you Ros
I hate to burst your bubble Dale, but it's not all about you.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 11:48 pm
There is zero difference.

Harvesting any nugget of meaning still occurs, which was the point.
Particularly in arguments vast and complex.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:02 am
@Setanta,
To bot or not to bot, That's a question? Sorry, Irish, I couldn't resist your Shakespeare pun on to be or not to be.

Actually, boss, I don't know wot a bot is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:06 am
It's short for robot. It means that there are "members" here which are not actually people, but just artifacts of programs which register as members. This began in May, 2012. Since that time, there have been dozens of new "members" which show all the signs of being bots rather than people.
jcboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:12 am
@Setanta,
One thing I’ve noticed about these bots is so many copy and paste from eHow.
Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:28 am
@jcboy,
That's interesting--i didn't know that. Is that some kind of DIY site?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:31 am
@jcboy,
I'm trying to find an article I read last year about how e-how tries to get itself higher rankings on search engines.
jcboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:31 am
@Setanta,
This is what I found on Wikipedia.

Quote:
eHow is an online how-to guide with more than 1 million articles and 170,000 videos offering step-by-step instructions. eHow articles and videos are created by freelancers[2] and cover a wide variety of topics organized into a hierarchy of categories. Any eHow user can leave comments or responses, but only contracted writers can contribute changes to articles.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:38 am
@ehBeth,
So you think the bots here might be a part of an SEO operation on their part?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:25 pm
@Setanta,
yup

google applied a filter in 2011 to try and decrease ehow's (and content farms generally) rankings

there was an article that talked about what content authors could do to try and bring their particular contents' ranking up

if I could figure out keywords that didn't actually take me back to ehow

grrrrrrr