Spicy food and you

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 01:49 pm
I just saw this article and accompanying slide show about restaurants that serve such spicy food that they require a signed waiver. Hmmm.

The article about the guy who got a hole in his stomach after ingesting some super spicy item: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/spicy-soup-burns-hole-in-stomach_n_2375733.html

The slide show: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/spicy-soup-burns-hole-in-stomach_n_2375733.html#slide=1840056

Me, I'm playing with various mexican and new mexican peppers*, very much a learning process, have a thread or two on that. I probably eat garlic and chile pepper in some form fie or six days a week, but on the peppers, I'm still and will likely remain a weakling. To me, heat isn't everything. There's also sweetness, smokiness, crunch on some occasions, and esophageal comfort, and that's just about the chilis. Being able to breathe is primary. Plus the food the chili is added to has character of its own, and obliterating that seems wrong. Well, that's my opinion as an admitted chickenshit.

And you?

recipes welcome, and anecdotes demanded....

* I gather mexican peppers are called chili peppers, and new mexican peppers are called chile peppers. But don't trust me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,941 • Replies: 26

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I love HOT!!!! food, Ossobuco, but I have trouble when I am getting rid of the digestive leftovers.

Hydrocortizone applied after elimination helps...but sometimes I forget.

Not sure why I like "spicy hot" so much, but I've had it all my life, and it is a hard habit to break.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I think it's mostly good, healthwise. I was raised with very bland food, and gradually learned that I really like the tastes that come with various spicy foods.

On the other hand, I've never dealt with an ulcer or other gastrointestinal conditions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Flavour wins over heat for me.

I can handle a fair bit of heat in my food and do enjoy it, but a good balance of herbs and spices - that I can taste - is the real winner for me.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:27 pm
@ehBeth,
True.

I think one of the first things I understood when I became interested in food was the matter of blend. Some dishes have, to me, a great blend of tastes, where the tastes can be clear but also work together as a kind of, pardon me, chorus.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 06:24 pm
I like heat - but not to the point I would have to break out the hydrocortisone to put on after ...whatever.

The Professor ate at a restaurant where they had angry something or other and was in actual pain. They brought him sour cream to douse the burn.

That is crazy.

I agree with you Beth and Osso that the flavor of the food with spices and such is much more preferable to heat. I like a subtle warmth over a burn I guess is the best way to put it. Very Happy

Although - I will eat a plate of hot wings in spite of burning lips as long as I have a cold beer to wash it down. Razz
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 12:04 am
Like food with flavors and aromas. Indian kurmas, biryanis and tandoris. Appreciate mouth heat. I like certain dishes in Chinese restaurants. Recently had shredded pork with garlic and every bite was so good that I ate more and more slowly to make it last. One of the best meals I had in a Chinese restaurant was in Brockport, NY . It was sesame chicken that had intense mouth heat, but it didn't burn my throat.

When I make chicken soup I use jalapenos and tomatillos, some vinegar and curry, along with the usual onions and garlic. Gives the soup a little bite.
mismi

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 09:10 am
@nextone,
That sounds delicious nextone. I will try that in my chicken noodle soup next time!

I think if the heat overwhelms my tastebuds it is not good. I suppose we all have varying degrees of how spicy food affects us. I suppose that a taste for the spicier could be acquired as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 09:25 am
@nextone,
I like all of those too. Though I haven't made that exact soup.
One of my favorite recipes is Marciano's found recipe for chili verde - peppers and tomatillos in some kind of perfect mix. Not ferociously hot, just peppy, and the soup sounds similar re flavors.

In general I like curries.
nextone

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 09:35 am
@ossobuco,
Hi Ossobuco,
The soup was the result of my first attempt at sauce. I put in too much liquid so I just added it to my stash of frozen chicken bones and liked the result very much. I usually make about three quarts, freeze two. Nice to have in the winter.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 11:58 am
@nextone,
Here's Marco's copy of an online chile verde recipe (ehBeth found the online links at some point sometime later, said it's a very well liked recipe):

http://able2know.org/topic/72647-274#post-5058591

I had lots of sauce left over, very useful.

I'll play with using similar with chicken.

nextone

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 03:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, sounds good. I like using tomatillos and enjoy that they come "gift-wrapped".
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 03:24 pm
@nextone,
Me too. They're new to me, though I've heard of them forever, it seems.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 08:36 am
Here's a couple of canny lads taking the curry hell challenge.
nextone

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 06:47 pm
@izzythepush,
OUCH !
shanewattson

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 04:21 am
@nextone,
spicy food are just taste of a mouth,it is not good for health,if you are taking spicy food regularly,it can damage our small intestine there is chances of Ulcer.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 08:28 am
@shanewattson,
Not true re it not being good for your health. It is quite good. However, one can overdo it. And, as I mentioned in the opening post, it will be different if you already have an ulcer, for example. Ulcers are mostly, though not entirely, related to having a certain gut bacteria.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/capsicum
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-945-CAPSICUM.aspx?activeIngredientId=945&activeIngredientName=CAPSICUM

That is just one spicy food. I'm not going to research all of them for you.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:49 am
I love spicy foods. I especially love wasabi with my sushi.

There’s one restaurant in town called Nitally’s, it’s Thai/Mexican, if you want spicy food in this town that is the place to go!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:56 am
@jcboy,
Wasabi, yeah!

And there was a thai marinade that I used recently for ribs that was terrific. I'll post it, or maybe I already did. Back later.
jcboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 03:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I don’t know if you like hot wings or even if they have this sauce in your area but I have found this is the best hot sauce on the market. It’s called Texas Pete and it's great on hot wings.

http://imageshack.us/a/img829/9565/texaspete.jpg