DrewDad

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:04 pm
@ehBeth,
The player built into individual TVs is even more prone to being buggy. Every TV model is a different platform.

If you can upgrade the firmware on the TV, you might take the time to do so.

Otherwise, I suggest that you go with a major platform like Roku, Tivo, or Apple TV.
jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:08 pm
@DrewDad,
I didn't know about firmware, I’ll check into that tonight when we get home. Thanks again!

You know last night we watched a movie on Roku with the old modem and it didn’t stop once.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:25 pm
@jcboy,
If it were a computer, I'd say it was an insufficient memory problem.

Is it possible that your available bandwidth usage is being controlled by your internet provider? They tend to do that for users who they feel monopolize the service with extremely heavy usage.
jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Could be. I did a speed test on one of the laptops, it was 10pbs with the old modem and 41 with that new one. I wonder if it makes a difference how many electronic devices we are using? All three computers are always on and have Internet connections, and now the new TV and Antonio’s TV.
jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
I wonder if the agent on his PS3 is just not very efficient....

according to the OP, he's using the new system (new TV with built-in WIFI) not the PS3

Yep that's true, I haven't hooked up the ps3 player yet.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 04:00 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
I wonder if it makes a difference how many electronic devices we are using? All three computers are always on and have Internet connections, and now the new TV and Antonio’s TV.

The bandwidth they're using is probably miniscule, next to that required for streaming a movie.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 04:05 pm
@DrewDad,
Apropos of this topic:

No One Uses Smart TV Internet Because It Sucks

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: buy a dumb TV, and hook it up to a smart device.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 04:08 pm
@DrewDad,
I have a feeling it’s a problem with Netflix in this area, like you said, when we watched a movie on Roku with the old modem it was great, no problems at all.

When the service man was here today I told him why I was upgrading and he told me he had to do the same thing because of Netflix, he said he doesn’t have a problem now, of course he works for the cable company.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 10:44 am
Well I guess Netflix is a bust again, tried watching another movie last night and same thing happens. Still happy I got the high speed Internet though.

Roku is great! I think I’ll stick with it.

Out of curiosity I googled Netflix problems, page after page of complaints.
0 Replies