break passcode for android

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 08:38 am
Hi. My friend has a droid A-956 smartphone. She has a lock on her phone. The problem is if you try and type in a passcode and its wrong several times, the phone will lock up then you will have to do a hard reset to get into it and that obviously is not what we want to do. Verizon is not helping us and told us that we either need to remember the passcode, remember the email address that we gave or do a hard reset. Is there a way we can break the code and get into the phone without doing a hard reset? Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:17 am
@IronMike,
I sure hope not.

The idea of the passcode is security. The idea is that there should no way for people who don't have the passcode to have access to information on the phone.

If your friend is truly the rightful owner of the phone, Verizon may be willing to help.. but it may be true that you need to remember the information you gave them to prove that you are the rightful owner. It would be terrible for Verizon to break the security of the phone for the wrong person.
jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:31 am
@maxdancona,
That’s axactly what I was thinking. I don’t believe Verizon would refuse to help him, unless of course like you said, he’s not the rightful owner of the phone.
IronMike

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:46 am
@jcboy,
thank you maxdancona and jcboy. Now I will tell you a little bit more of the situation and why we need in the phone. The issue is my friend actually is no longer with us and her father is a police officer working on the investigation. Neither her father or I knows the passcode and Verizon won't give us any help. Her father subpoenaed the phone records from Verizon, but we still need in the phone. Do you have any other ideas of what we could try? Thank you.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:52 am
@IronMike,
I am sorry about your friend.

The issue is still security. The legal system is designed to make sure that no one can have access to the information on the phone until they prove they are the rightful owner. That is what the subpoena is for.

If I were a Verizon customer, I would like them to be very careful helping people break security until they are absolutely sure that the people asking have the right to the information on my phone. They have the duty of protecting the privacy of their customers.

I think the legal process sounds like the correct way to go. I don't think there is anything else you can do. I would wait for the subpoena.

roger

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:54 am
@IronMike,
Remembering the email address doesn't sound like a high bar to clear. I know some people have more than one, but she surely knows what they are.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:56 am
@roger,
You probably would need the email password as well. Generally they mail a confirmation number to your email address and you need to respond (which means logging in to your email).
IronMike

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:00 am
@maxdancona,
thank you. she was a dear friend.
the subpoena was for retrieval of text messages coming and going from the phone. What her dad got back from Verizon was a list of phone numbers, coming and going, from text messages and phone calls. The text messages pages, only listed phone numbers (no actual messages).
IronMike

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:02 am
@maxdancona,
yes im sorry i should have clarified that. we need into her email to be able to get the passcode i guess.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:08 am
@IronMike,
Yes, Verizon will give you as little information as they can. You have to understand that their first duty is to protect the privacy of their customers. This is why they will give you as little information as they can based on the subpoena. In most cases this is what their customers expect of them.

It sounds like you have a lawyer. This really is the best way forward.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:19 am
Could someone please tell me, hopefully step-by-step, how to download an audible book to my droid.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:50 am
@IronMike,
Let them answer the subpoena. This is in the hands of the law and not you.
IronMike

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:59 am
@jespah,
the subpoena was already answered and it didn't help much. I was asked to try and help with any information I can find to help get into the phone. That is the main reason why I am on this site.
0 Replies