Reddit App on Android

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2023 07:15 pm
Has anyone here used or still uses the Reddit app on Android? It's got a pretty terrible rating of 2.8 out of 5 on Google Play.

Is it that much worse than just using the browser version of the Reddit site?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,006 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
thack45
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2023 08:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
I tried it and didn't care for it. I remember I would click a link that would go to a website, but then when going back to Reddit, it never went back to where I left off. I don't think it even stayed in a post, but rather backed out to the subreddit. I also just prefer a browser for most things. It didn't make sense to have an app that's just a website, but with freedom to snoop around and nag on a device.

I understand people have had a lot of video playback and other UI problems on the app for years, but that would vary depending on the device and how the app is used. The rating probably also took a dive after Reddit all but forced mobile users to their app, after they started charging for an API that 3rd party developers used to make alternative apps and websites. And several months before that, they changed their mobile website so it throws popups, every hour or so, "suggesting" to download the app—and scrolling whatever screen you're on back to the top as a little extra thumb in the eye for the user.

With no real comparable alternative, I think Reddit figured—correctly—that users are sufficiently hooked in, and they could force a lot more mobile users to their app. After those changes, Reddit claimed the desktop site (which is what I use now) isn't going anywhere, but their contempt for user experience is one of the more obvious examples online, so we'll see what happens the next time they don't like their numbers.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2023 02:38 pm
@thack45,
Yeah. I use Google Chrome when I'm at my work computer. I'm very happy with the ease of use with the Reddit site.
0 Replies