Toilet Problem

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:52 am
I've got this toilet that doesn't drain the water in the bowl all the way. The tank empties when you flush it, but the water doesn't drain out. This means that we have to flush four or five times to get any solid waste out. Now, it's at the point that it's been flushed close to 30 times, and the same piece of. . . well, you get the idea, is still in the bowl.

I've given up. I'm calling the landlord and bitching about it until they replace it.

But I'm curious to know what or how this could happen. Does anyone have any ideas, and aside from fishing it out, how to get rid of the solid waste still in the bowl?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,567 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:13 am
Maybe - just maybe, the water isn't entering the bowl fast enough to initiate a flush. Sometimes the little holes under the rim become restricted with mineral buildup.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:25 am
Re: Toilet Problem
Turner_727 wrote:
But I'm curious to know what or how this could happen. Does anyone have any ideas, and aside from fishing it out, how to get rid of the solid waste still in the bowl?

Fill a bucket with water (from the tub or a spigot elsewhere) and pour it straight into the bowl (quickly).
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:58 am
There are two holes at the bottom of the bowl, the larger one sucks out all the water, the smaller one sometimes gets plugged. Make sure there are no build up in that hole as well.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:37 pm
Well, the maintenance dude came out, and he tried snaking it. Didn't do squat. So he called the plumber they use. The plumber, without looking at it, decided it needed to be augered. The landlord decided he needed to look anyway, so we're waiting for him to come out. Of course, it's the weekend, so that means that all weekend we'll be without a downstairs toilet. Thankfully, we have another one.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 12:21 am
Well, if one works and one doesn't, that kind of means the sewer line itself is clear. Do what fishin' said. If a bucket of water quickly dumped into the bowl causes it to flush, the problem just must be in the upstream (so to speak) side of the system. If that's the case, check the delivery holes under the bowl rim. It is even possible that the flapper valve isn't being lifted high enough. Also check the water level in the tank. Maybe the float is out of adjustment.

Aw, you're on the right track. Let the landlord worry about it. That's what you are paying for.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 12:57 am
Well, I checked the float, and it appears to be okay. The toilet is filling the tank to within a centimeter or so of the fill line. And it dumps the water out of the tank quick enough, I guess. I don't know, I've never really watched a tank empty before this. We replaced the flapper, and it's still having problems.

Well, this has turned into an interesting theoretical problem. . .like I said, the landlord is working on it now.

Thanks for all the advice and input. It's appreciated. http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
0 Replies

OnTheFritz

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:41 pm
Is it one of those water conservation type toilets? I've heard they sometimes are not real efficient at emptying the bowl with one flush.
There are new types that use air to give a better flush. My sister has one and it sounds like some of the toilets you hear in public bathrooms-WHOOSH. I haven't deposited any solids into it yet so I don't know how good it works.
Tell your landlord to get off his sitter and put in a new s***ter. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:52 pm
I usually try to do my own maintenance on toilets, but it seems your problem is beyond and amatuer level problem. Our master bedroom bathroom drain sometimes collects too much hair from the shower, and that can usually be fixed with draino or snake.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:54 pm
OTF - Nope, it was an older 'full flushing' model.

c.i. - It was beyond us before we got it.

turns out something was clogged between the bowl and the tank. They played with it some, then installed a new toilet.
0 Replies