@djjd62,
Actually @All

to quote some wiseguys

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/227/499166409_7c49efc11d.jpg

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 10:03 am
@maxdancona,

I don't recall Wilso's position as a statement about "Universal Truth" which is of course the language of theism. Wilso's position is different because atheism is not about a specific belief . It is about the irrationality of theism and its function with respect to reifying pernicious tribalism and devaluing "this life". A potential counter argument... that despotic intolerant atheists (like Stalin) weakens that position... is invalid because a charismatic figure (for whom one might die) has merely replaced a celestial mythical one as a tribal authority.

The problem with the "tolerance" lobby is that they give intellectual succour to... and have no jurisdiction over ....present day fanatics with possible access to weapons of mass destruction with which they might seek to hasten "the next life". It is on this point that atheism is rationally incomparable. But what matters here is not the rationality (which to atheists is self-evident) but the tactics of dealing psychological addiction and its social consequences. On that point, as I have already stated, confrontation is unlikely to yield results.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 10:06 am
@fresco,
Quote:
Wilso's position is different because atheism is not about a specific belief .

Really!

I know many atheists for whom atheism IS about a specific "belief."

So...for some atheists it may not be about a specific belief...but for many, it is.

And for some non-atheists (including many non-theists as well)...atheism IS about a specific belief. Not all...but for some.
fresco

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 10:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yes really ! I'm talking about Wilso's specific position as I understand it...not the hypothetical ones you concoct from that "lofty" fence on which you sit.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 10:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
@all
Does every thread like this have to turn into attempts at dissecting atheists to put them in a box of non atheists' choosing? How many times do we have to endure the atheism is a belief system bullshit? Sure, the human mind runs in certain channels and some pockets of atheists do develop belief systems. Not the majority, from my experience. But we must be packaged and labeled, else beyond your reach. I detect what seems to be fear of true atheists (the kind with no belief system), stemming from feelings of inferiority, perhaps. I lay no claim to being superior. Just reporting what I have seen in years of reading these threads. Bottom line, you have to try to herd us into one corral so you can try to keep us under control.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 10:44 am
@fresco,
You were talking about what atheism is or isn't. Don't try to weasel out of it.

I am not on any lofty fence...I am not on a fence at all...and I was not concocting anything. I quoted you...and commented on the quote. If you want me to start commenting on what you meant rather than what you wrote, perhaps you ought to write what you meant.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 10:47 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5205495)
@all
Does every thread like this have to turn into attempts at dissecting atheists to put them in a box of non atheists' choosing? How many times do we have to endure the atheism is a belief system bullshit? Sure, the human mind runs in certain channels and some pockets of atheists do develop belief systems. Not the majority, from my experience. But we must be packaged and labeled, else beyond your reach. I detect what seems to be fear of true atheists (the kind with no belief system), stemming from feelings of inferiority, perhaps. I lay no claim to being superior. Just reporting what I have seen in years of reading these threads. Bottom line, you have to try to herd us into one corral so you can try to keep us under control.

Edgar, of all people to be saying this, you ought to be last.

You say there are no gods. You do not say there may not be gods...but rather, that there are no gods.

You have a belief that there are no gods...unlike many of the atheists in this forum who suggest that they are absent that "belief."

So why should I refrain from mentioning that there are atheists who do "believe" stuff?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 10:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
More double talk. My last post applies here.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 11:31 am
@edgarblythe,
No doubletalk about it, Edgar.

Answer these question:

Are there any gods?

Is there even a possibility there are gods?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 11:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
You know what I think about it. But you just want to use some sleight of language to make rejection of the notion of gods seem like a belief system. Again, I stand by my earlier post.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 11:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5205585)
You know what I think about it. But you just want to use some slight of language to make rejection of the notion of gods seem like a belief system. Again, I stand by my earlier post.

I do know how you feel about it, Edgar. You assert there are no gods...even though it is obvious you cannot KNOW there are no gods.

With you, it IS a belief.

All I said was that some atheists have beliefs about this.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 11:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
To assert that such constitutes a SYSTEM of beliefs is where people go wrong.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 12:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Here is what I said originally, Edgar.

Quote:

So...for some atheists it may not be about a specific belief...but for many, it is.

And for some non-atheists (including many non-theists as well)...atheism IS about a specific belief. Not all...but for some.

You are one of the people who have a specific "belief" in this area.

Right?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 12:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I have stated my position many times. As I said before, there is no system involved to being an atheist (unless, by choice an atheist adopts a system). No sleight of language can alter that.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 12:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
And no slight of language can alter what I said originally:

Quote:

Not sure what you problem is with that, but you are one of the people who are that way.
fresco

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 01:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Here's a few to mull over on the fence:
Do you know what a belief is ? Smile
Do you believe you know what a belief is ? Very Happy
Do you believe you know what "know" is ? Laughing
Do you know that I know that you don't know what "know" is ? Twisted Evil

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 01:22 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5205641)
Here's a few to mull over on the fence:

Okay, I am ready.

Quote:
Do you know what a belief is ?

Yup.

Quote:
Do you believe you know what a belief is ?

Nope.

Quote:
Do you believe you know what "know" is ?

Nope.

Quote:
Do you know that I know that you don't know what "know" is ?

I know there is the possibility that you think you know that I do not know what "know" is...and considering your usual "I know everything" demeanor, I think it to be a high probability.

But since I do not think you know that I do not know what "know" is, the answer to your question is: NO.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 01:24 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Fresco,

Read Wilso's posts again and then answer this question.

How are Wilso's rants different than the rants of any other religionist? The Christians go around talking about how destructive Muslims are. The Muslims go around ranting about how evil the Jews are. The Jews go around telling us how evil the Muslims are.

Wilso is joining in with all the other religions say that he has the truth and that everyone else is "malignant". Wilso hates as many groups as the most strident Muslim or Christian fanatics hate.

If the definition of atheism is "someone who doesn't believe in god" then I have no problem with it. That definition applies to me.

If the definition of Atheism is "a defender of Universal Truth fighting against other malignant belief systems", then I am against it.

Then DON'T ******* PARTICIPATE IN IT YOU WHINGING BITCH. Jesus christ, what a ******* **********. First atheist I've ever encountered who I actually want to see crawl back into the hole in the ground that spewed the fuckwit up.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 01:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

DJ,

This group exists to be "Anti-Religious". Why can't they just be honest about that?

These other terms are dishonest.

I'm anti-religious, and I've never tried to hide to hide it. Happy now ****?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 02:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You seem to imply that knowledge that no gods exist is a belief, which, in a sense, it is. But the implication seems to be that you think it goes, by extension, that I would have to have a belief system similar to religious belief. Which is where I draw the line. When an illusion pops, there exists a vacancy, not an alternate illusion.