Bathroom floor cleaning

alexis1

Thu 20 Dec, 2012 04:57 am
I have these yellowish brown tinge on the white tiles my bathroom floor (in my rented appt) looks old and shabby. How to I clean it up and have the floor shining white. I tried all sorts of cleaning agents but it doesnt seem to go. I am not sure about trying anything stronger and screwing up the tiles or my hands without being sure. Any suggestions what might help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 1,764 • Replies: 17
Topic Closed
No top replies

Butrflynet

Thu 20 Dec, 2012 12:31 pm
@alexis1,
Are you sure they are supposed to be white?

Get a can of cleanser such as Comet, Ajax, etc., and a scrub brush.
alexis1

Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes it is supposed to be white because these are just yellow patches here and there. I tried a regular cleaning agent from the supermarket but didnt work. I wonder if using a bleaching agent will help. Also I dont want it to ruin the floor even more so need to be careful.
Butrflynet

Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:56 pm
@alexis1,
You say it is a rented apartment. Contact the manager, landlord, owner and ask them what they suggest you use. They will be familiar with what type of flooring you have.
0 Replies

alexis1

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:11 am
Thanks for all the help of suggestions. Calling the cleaners is going to be really expensive. So I have been trying a few different kinds of cleaning agents and its just getting better.
roger

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 12:12 pm
@alexis1,
Some stains on some materials just won't come out, in my experience. Sometimes, it seems the stain just becomes part of the floor.
0 Replies

arturoi

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 07:56 pm
@alexis1,
There are many tiles cleaning chemicals are available use one of them...
0 Replies

scotbyallen28

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 11:52 pm
@alexis1,
Why don't you make use of vinegar for it.. Just pour some vinegar on the floor, let it stand for a while than clean it with hot water.. Repeat this 2 to 3 times.. Hope it will help you..
0 Replies

Amanda Dawson

Sat 16 Mar, 2013 04:32 am
@alexis1,
I would rather suggest you non toxic very effective cleaning products. Some of these handy ingredients to have on hand for environmentally friendly cleaning include:

1. White Vinegar: a great non-toxic disinfectant, ideal for using around children and animals... or anywhere! Helps remove bathroom scum, tarnish and hard water stains.

2. Lemons: fresh smelling, disinfecting, deodorising and helps remove stains and inhibit mould.

3. Salt: scouring power, as well as disinfecting properties.

4.Borax: disinfects, deodorises, inhibits mould, dissolves grease and removes stains. Borax is toxic if eaten, however the toxicity dissipates quickly in the environment.

5.Washing Soda: consisting of sodium carbonate, this cuts through grease, removes stains and softens water.

6.Soap Flakes: a mild cleaning agent. Buy pre-made soap flakes, or grate your own from your favourite environmentally friendly bathroom or laundry soap. Pure soap has low toxicity, is biodegradable and unlike detergent, does not contribute to algal blooms in rivers.

7.Bicarbonate of Soda: also known as carb soda, bicarb and baking soda, this is great for absorbing odours, as well as giving a cleaning boosting fizz when mixed with liquids such as lemon and vinegar.

8. Dishwashing Liquid: this is usually a fairly mild cleaning fluid and useful for adding grease cutting power to some cleaners. Find an environmentally friendly one. In fact, dishwashing liquid can be used alone, if you wish, for many cleaning jobs.

9.Eucalyptus & Tea Tree Oils: natural disinfectants and useful for removing sticky residues. Not to be swallowed.

10.Lavender Oil: anti-bacterial and anti-mildew.

11.Essential Oils (if you want fragrance- omit if you have a fragrance allergy/sensitivity): wide range of delightful, natural fragrant oils available to give your cleaners, and your rooms, a lovely scent. A lot of these oils also help in the cleaning process itself, having disinfecting properties, among others.

0 Replies

aarenace

Thu 21 Mar, 2013 05:43 am
@alexis1,
Try to find out what kind of floor it is. You can't use the same method on all types floors -- linolium or not. Using too acidic or alkaline cleaners could casue even more discoloration, leave a film or permanent damage.

Was there something on the bottom of the mat that might have reacted with the flooring when it got wet? It's best to rinse off something like that, with a rubber base, before using it first.
0 Replies

scotbyallen28

Thu 21 Mar, 2013 11:40 pm
@alexis1,
You can also go for safer oxygen bleach even. It will be safer than chlorine bleach and will not even damage or discolour tiles. When powder is mixed with water, oxygen is released creating a heavy duty whitener and cleaner that is gentle to use on any surface. So I think it can help you.
0 Replies

edwardgordy

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:10 am
@alexis1,
According to me, you should bring a professional and best quality floor cleaner and a scrub brush to remove that yellowish brown tinge on your floor. You can also contact with a professional cleaner for better result.
0 Replies

beatrixtuffy

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 04:08 am
@alexis1,
I use vinegar solution to handle the deep cleaning on my linoleum, and wood floors too but with most all purpose cleaners while hard water deposits can be eliminated by a solution of white vinegar and water.
0 Replies

janegray78

Tue 23 Apr, 2013 11:13 pm
@alexis1,
Try Plain White Vinegar. It's the best solution for the job. Mix 1 gallon of hot water with 1 cup of standard white vinegar.

But I won’t recommend vinegar for marble or stone floors. Try some cleaning solution or just straight water rather.
scotbyallen28

Fri 10 May, 2013 04:26 am
@janegray78,
Plain White vinegar is a good idea. I myself used it for my bathroom some days ago. It has clear the yellowish part on the tiles.
orrick

Wed 29 May, 2013 11:06 pm
@scotbyallen28,
I will give you advice that I used in my own home and it worked good. The best thing to clean the tiles of the floor. Bring the hydrocloric Acid and mix it with water half quantity then apply it on tiles which one looking ugly leave it for 10 mins minimum after that with a brush or with other equipment rub it. The floor will clean it up.
0 Replies

richardtale

Thu 30 May, 2013 10:54 pm
I love Shark Steam Mop. It is the best product I have used..
0 Replies

Angelahynes

Mon 26 Aug, 2013 05:30 am
@alexis1,
I think you should get help from flooring company's.
0 Replies