How can something come from nothing?

Herald

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 07:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
At Post No.5,758,423 Cicerone Imposter wrote:
I never claimed to be a scientist.
     Oh, you did (implicitly) and even how.
At Post No.Post No.5,749,619 Cicerone Imposter wrote:
You don't even know the definition of science.
     You are talking here instructively as an Editor-in-Chief of a scientific publisher.
At Post No.5739268 Cicerone Imposter wrote:
Not correct; vacuum has energy within it.
     This statement is at the level 'Einstein as a TV star in the dawn of the TV' ... as a minimum.
At Post No.5,735,390 Cicerone Imposter wrote:
Scientists share their findings almost immediately after they have tested their theory.
     Here you are talking at the level of Chairman of the Nobel Committee for Physics - competent, with authority, and instructive. You should have made some career in science.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 12:45 pm
@Herald,
I made a career in Accounting, and did a pretty good job at it. Worked in management positions for 88% of my working career.

I believe that's quite an accomplishment for a guy who almost flunked out of high school.

I've seen most of this world, having traveled the equivalent of 30 times around it; I have visited all five continents, the southernmost and northernmost cities of the world, the highest point on earth (flew to Mt Everest), and dipped my feet in the Dead Sea three times.

I still do six-seven trips every year.

I'll be off to Copenhagen next Tuesday to embark on a ship for a 17-day cruise to NYC. In late November, my travel buddy and I will be on a cruise in the Caribbean.
Herald

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 01:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I made a career in Accounting ... In late November, my travel buddy and I will be on a cruise in the Caribbean.
      ... and what is all that supposed to prove - that you are a genius, or that you are at the level of a master-mind of the Universe, or perhaps that if you make a cruise to the Caribbean you will start understanding somehow the Big Bang theory and the General Relativity Theory or what? Last month I have been in Vienna and I still can't understand how can you support any theory without even understanding it?
0 Replies

Super-Socrates

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2021 04:28 pm
Is this about Big Bang? Sometimes I question it. Enlighten me if I'm wrong, but I was taught that the entire conception is based on the idea that the universe is expanding. They jumped from expanding to infinitely contracted. To me, that's a pretty large jump. It reminds me of all that quantum physics hoopla that they later discredited. Could this jump be based on a missed observation too? Not sure, but the fact that it was a giant jump alone calls it into question for me. For instance, why not hold dark matter and dark energy are the controlling factors in an expanding universe?

Thoughts?
Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 01:04 am
@Super-Socrates,
The problem to oppose a start from nothing is on the first nanoseconds and not in the factual observations on the microwave background, red shifted galaxies expanding away from us, and other experiments that indicate a Big Bang was probable.

Today cyclic models are more and more favoured but we still need actual data to confirm them.
Recently Roger Penrose in his Conformal Cyclic Cosmology is developing a sort of experiment to look for such data on the MWB to test the previous Big Bang hypothesis.

Finally I wonder why this topic interests you...hopefully it is not for Religious reasons as those have nothing to do with the topic per se. If God were to be the source of the Universe you would still be left with the same problem just one step longer. Where did God came from? And if it always existed then why can't we have a cyclic model of the Universe just the same bypassing the entire fairy tale of a Santa in the sky?

Interest on Science is interest on Truth not interest on personal bias...
Super-Socrates

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 08:52 am
@Albuquerque,
No scientist says it started from nothing.

I have offered an alternative explanation.

According to Null Physics, cyclical models are no longer accepted.

Only in the sense that for me philosophy is a religion.

The entire aim of science is to bypass biases.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 04:26 pm
@Super-Socrates,
Super-Socrates wrote:

No scientist says it started from nothing.

No they don't. They say it started from a singularity beyond which we don't know what preceded it.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 07:18 pm
@Super-Socrates,
Philosophy is about Logic and Science about pragmatism...there is nothing vaguely religious about that!
The argument that there are bad "philosophers" can apply to any other human activity.
Plenty of scientists of all walks of life are religious...I care to respect the ones who don't mix the two!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 04:08 pm
@Albuquerque,
amen!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 06:37 am
@Albuquerque,
Quote:
Plenty of scientists of all walks of life are religious...I care to respect the ones who don't mix the two!

I’m trying to imagine the mental torture required to do that.

Sorry, even that was too much. A house divided..
bulmabriefs144

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 08:13 am
@Leadfoot,
That's because you're hung up on Conflict Theory, which is actually a fairly new idea.

Conflict Theory goes like this:
1. Science is directly opposed to religion.
2. All religious people therefore unscientific. That they somehow don't understand that water conducts electricity, don't know about gravity, and have buckteeth and are inbred. That's a really unfair and unflattering picture btw...
3. All scientific people are atheists. (Btw, this part is patently untrue, as discovered by finding out that several scientists are actually devout members of Judaism, Christianity, or some other religion)

https://vedicfeed.com/scientists-influenced-by-hinduism/
https://www.famousscientists.org/great-scientists-christians/
https://www.juliantrubin.com/schooldirectory/jewishscientists.html

The countertheory can likewise be summed up in a few words:
1. Science and religion are not opposed.
2. Science is the study of how the physical world works. It does not require worship of the physical world, nor does it dismiss the possibility of a s
3. Therefore, scientists can be of any belief. Likewise, religious people can be of any scientific background, from Flat Earther to believing in pretty much every scientific concept.
4. What is incompatible with faith is scientific secularism, because scientific secularism is the idea that religion cannot be scientific, while it pushes its own faith, one that worships climate and social justice. (Yeahhhh, you guys aren't fooling anyone)

A house divided indeed. Those of scientific secularism worship a so-called science, which does not in fact study the universe but claims there is consensus. That is called dogma, where there is an official belief that you're not allowed to question. Who does not understand the scientific method, yet insists we "follow the science." What science? You're not following science, you're at odds with yourself, saying scientific people can't have any faith (impossible, humans always have faith) and then subscribing to a faith of your own.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 08:40 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

That's because you're hung up on Conflict Theory, which is actually a fairly new idea.

2. All religious people therefore unscientific. That they somehow don't understand that water conducts electricity, don't know about gravity, and have buckteeth and are inbred. That's a really unfair and unflattering picture btw...
3. All scientific people are atheists. (Btw, this part is patently untrue, as discovered by finding out that several scientists are actually devout members of Judaism, Christianity, or some other religion)

2. Science is the study of how the physical world works. It does not require worship of the physical world, nor does it dismiss the possibility of a s
3. Therefore, scientists can be of any belief. Likewise, religious people can be of any scientific background, from Flat Earther to believing in pretty much every scientific concept.
4. What is incompatible with faith is scientific secularism, because scientific secularism is the idea that religion cannot be scientific, while it pushes its own faith, one that worships climate and social justice. (Yeahhhh, you guys aren't fooling anyone)

A house divided indeed. Those of scientific secularism worship a so-called science, which does not in fact study the universe but claims there is consensus. That is called dogma, where there is an official belief that you're not allowed to question. Who does not understand the scientific method, yet insists we "follow the science." What science? You're not following science, you're at odds with yourself, saying scientific people can't have any faith (impossible, humans always have faith) and then subscribing to a faith of your own.

I agree with almost all of this. I would remove the word "climate"... where as social justice is not science climate definitely is science.

Science can only answer questions that can be objectively measured and tested. This is great for building airplanes or curing diseases. There are lots of questions; such as the existence of God or the meaning of justice, that can't be answered by science.

That is why we still need religion of one kind or another.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 08:59 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

bulmabriefs144 wrote:

I agree with almost all of this. I would remove the word "climate"... where as social justice is not science climate definitely is science.

Science can only answer questions that can be objectively measured and tested. This is great for building airplanes or curing diseases. There are lots of questions; such as the existence of God or the meaning of justice, that can't be answered by science.

That is why we still need religion of one kind or another.

We do not NEED religion of any kind whatsoever.

We can simply acknowledge that there are things we do not know at this time.

There is no religion involved in that acknowledgement.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 09:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I define religion a little differently than you do.

You can not have a belief in human rights without religion. In order to believe that humans have rights, or have a concept of justice, or have an idea of what's right, you need to have a concept that there are things beyond what can be measured by science.

These are religious beliefs. If you believe in human rights, whether you attach these to a anthropomorphic deity, or just some concept of rightness in the universe is just window dressing.

I have yet to find a sane, well-adjusted human being who truly has no beliefs in the supernatural. Sometimes they pretend their supernatural beliefs are based on science. They are fooling themselves.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 10:13 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Frank, I define religion a little differently than you do.

You can not have a belief in human rights without religion. In order to believe that humans have rights, or have a concept of justice, or have an idea of what's right, you need to have a concept that there are things beyond what can be measured by science.

These are religious beliefs. If you believe in human rights, whether you attach these to a anthropomorphic deity, or just some concept of rightness in the universe is just window dressing.

I have yet to find a sane, well-adjusted human being who truly has no beliefs in the supernatural. Sometimes they pretend their supernatural beliefs are based on science. They are fooling themselves.

I have no "beliefs", Max. By that I mean that at NO POINT WHATEVER will you ever hear me say, "I believe...such and such."

I do have opinions, I do make judgements, I do estimate things, I do suppose or hypothesize. When I do, I call them opinions, judgements, estimations, suppositions, or hypotheticals. BUT I DO NOT MISLABLE THEM. I do not do "BELIEVING."

It is my opinion (not a "belief") that "supernatural" is an absurdity on the level of a "square circle" or "round cube." If a thing exists...IT IS NOT SUPERNATURAL. It is a natural thing that we human cannot fathom. If a GOD exists...it is not supernatural. If ghosts exist...they are not supernatural. If Valhalla or Hell exist...they are not supernatural

It is, in my opinion (not a "belief") that humans can decide on their own what is right or wrong...and what "rights" each human should be able to demand.

My personal feeling are that some humans are expecting too many "rights" at this time in human history. Any "rights" we have were not the result of anything "supernatural"...but are issues of insistence that were obtained mostly by people fighting and dying for them.

If you insist on thinking that we NEED religion...fine with me. I just disagree with that thought to the ultimate degree.
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 10:34 am
@maxdancona,
so you believe in something where there is NO EVIDENCE?? Then you state that everyone actually believes this as a basis of their knowledge??
How bout laws of Conservation of mass and energy??

Your assertions are less than convincing but Im not gonna spend the next three pqges arguing flyshit and pepper with you. Youve said your opinion, I disagree mightily.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 11:46 am
@farmerman,
Are you really wanting to make a hit and run argument on the conservation laws? (I can easily propose an experiment to test the conservation laws.)

I believe in many things. Some of these beliefs (i.e. conservation laws) can be tested. These are scientific beliefs.

Other things, such as my belief in the intrinsic value of human life, can't be tested. I believe in human rights. These things I take on faith.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 12:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I acknowledge the argument you are making. And yes... if what you are saying is true then you have no religious beliefs.

There are some emotionally troubling outcomes from this. For one thing, you can't have any concept of "evil". If you forgo any beliefs, than any society that flourishes is fine even if it consists of a race based caste system, or slavery, or killing handicapped people.

If you are really making this stance, then I respect it in terms of intellectual purity. I am not willing to go there.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 12:50 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Frank, I acknowledge the argument you are making. And yes... if what you are saying is true then you have no religious beliefs.

There are some emotionally troubling outcomes from this. For one thing, you can't have any concept of "evil". If you forgo any beliefs, than any society that flourishes is fine even if it consists of a race based caste system, or slavery, or killing handicapped people.

If you are really making this stance, then I respect it in terms of intellectual purity. I am not willing to go there.

That is not what I am doing...and doing so is NOT a natural consequence of the position I am taking.

I am merely acknowledging that I do not know EVERYTHING about the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

AND I DO NOT!

I suspect there is a lot about the REALITY that I do not know...that humans do not know...and perhaps, about which humans are incapable of ever knowing.

If you are convinced that one cannot conceive of (what you refer to as) EVIL unless one makes guesses and calls the guesses "beliefs"...

...I think you are totally wrong.

But I am willing to listen to why you suppose that.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 01:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
If you are convinced that one cannot conceive of (what you refer to as) EVIL unless one makes guesses and calls the guesses "beliefs"...

I believe that human life has intrinsic value and that humans are born with basic rights. That is sufficient to define the concept of evil. Do you not share this belief?

You can prove me wrong by providing a definition of evil that does not rely on unproven beliefs. I think you are making the claim that you can define "evil" without unproven beliefs.

I would like to see you do this. I don't believe it can be done. I can't prove a negative... but I don't see how it can be done. Every human being who has tried so far has failed; they always are shown to be basing their core assumptions on articles of faith.

So prove me wrong.