Is Science a philosophy, or is philosophy a science?

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 07:51 pm
I tend to believe that it is a little bit of both.

rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 07:58 pm
@IsmailaGodHasHeard,
IsmailaGodHasHeard wrote:

I tend to believe that it is a little bit of both.
Science is a methodology based on the philosophy of [methodological] Naturalism. Philosophy is not a science.
IsmailaGodHasHeard

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 08:04 pm
@rosborne979,
I am a little confused. Please explain a little more.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 08:06 pm
@IsmailaGodHasHeard,

I am a little confused. Please explain a little more.
Please tell me what part you are having trouble with. Have you looked up Methodological Naturalism?
IsmailaGodHasHeard

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 09:13 pm
@rosborne979,
Not yet. What is it? Edited for typo.
imans

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 11:53 pm
@IsmailaGodHasHeard,
dont listen to him, nature is not science base so dont respect any rule
nature is based on life so whatever wrong could b present too as being free existing fact abuse
and it is obvious for everyone, how suddenly nature became god just bc u want a positive life ???

life by definition is wrong

what exist is freedom objectivity so facts that are never recognized but from themselves b eing rights for and there where existence is true

so whatever is leanin on another perspective to mean being same is noone and not existing at all but through destroying what really exist and inventing lies to confirm truth being killed

science is the condition of things so opposite to philosophy that point nothing in meaning free dimensions of being

so no u cant never prove anything by words, words would always belong to nothing dimension and only there words could mean intentionnally so could represent some free wills

0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 06:05 am
@IsmailaGodHasHeard,
I remember hearing this topic on the edges when I took elementary symbolic logic as an undergraduate. An utile subject that combined undergraduates of the third or fourth year from many disciplines for the first time since freshman English. I represented Engineering and Math.

Now boiled down, symbolic logic is the mathematics of rhetoric. As most philosophy and history majors by this time were starting to lean toward something legal, they tended to migrate to the formalities of rhetoric--and mathematics had a formal analogy to a cogent argument--and it was called 'symbolic logic.'

Now we on the other side of the education spectrum had spent the last two years learning to answer not "why?" but "what & how".

Consequently, elementary symbolic logic, students consisted of diverse ideologies on a junior level and I heard that discussion being brought up in class.

Fortunately, the mentor recognized that the topic was a bit of a 'Red Herring' to the subject at attention and brushed it off with the following quip---"Morality is for God, Mother Nature is a bitch. "

Over the years I found this to be true.

Rap

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 03:08 pm
@IsmailaGodHasHeard,

Not yet. What is it? Edited for typo.

Here you go:
Quote:
Methodological naturalism

Methodological naturalism is concerned not with claims about what exists but with methods of learning what is nature. It is strictly the idea that all scientific endeavors—all hypotheses and events—are to be explained and tested by reference to natural causes and events. The genesis of nature, e.g., by an act of God, is not addressed. This second sense of naturalism seeks only to provide a framework within which to conduct the scientific study of the laws of nature. Methodological naturalism is a way of acquiring knowledge. It is a distinct system of thought concerned with a cognitive approach to reality, and is thus a philosophy of knowledge. Studies by sociologist Elaine Ecklund suggest that religious scientists do in fact apply methodological naturalism. They report that their religious beliefs affect the way they think about the implications, often moral, of their work, but not the way they practice science.[14][15]
In a series of articles and books from 1996 onwards, Robert T. Pennock wrote using the term methodological naturalism to clarify that the scientific method confines itself to natural explanations without assuming the existence or non-existence of the supernatural, and is not based on dogmatic metaphysical naturalism as claimed by creationists and proponents of intelligent design, in particular Phillip E. Johnson. Pennock's testimony as an expert witness[16] at the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trial was cited by the Judge in his Memorandum Opinion concluding that "Methodological naturalism is a "ground rule" of science today":
"Expert testimony reveals that since the scientific revolution of the 16th and 17th centuries, science has been limited to the search for natural causes to explain natural phenomena.... While supernatural explanations may be important and have merit, they are not part of science." Methodological naturalism is thus "a self-imposed convention of science." It is a "ground rule" that "requires scientists to seek explanations in the world around us based upon what we can observe, test, replicate, and verify."
Zarathustra

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 03:41 pm
@rosborne979,
A problem solving methodology that has been around for hundreds of years is “based” upon a philosophy that originated less than twenty years ago and that, I am willing to bet, has never been heard of by 99.999% of practicing scientists? Doesn’t make any sense to me.
0 Replies