Bertuzzi offers tearful apology

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:47 pm
Linkat: How can you separate the two though? I agree that accepting violence in hockey (or almost any other sport for that matter) is an important issue. If it wasn't acceptable, the incident with Bertuzzi never would have happened.

I could agree with your argument if the only reprecussion from his action was a broken rule. But this is not the case. I don't know the rules and regulations of NHL hockey, so I don't know what the "usual" penalties involved are. But he did more than foul play upon another team. Everyone supporting Bertuzzi seems to fail to recognize this. You are, in essence, saying this is a black and white situation and it isn't. He has changed the life of another human being in a way that should never have happened. Granted, it is obvious he had no intention of placing this type of harm on Moore, but this type of drastic outcome requires a more drastic measure than merely suspending him for a season and not a full one at that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 10:05 am
My reasoning is as follows caprice. Say, I player A was skating and an opponent skater B tripped him. Unfortunately, skater A hit his head hard and was instantly killed. (Granted this is an extreme example). Should player B be forever removed from the NHL? Even though player A would not have been killed if player B did not trip him, this is an unfortunate accident. It was not intended to cause grave injury. Similar to Bertuzzi's incident. Both players should be penalized according to NHL rules.

Caprice, I am not separating the issues, as one is the result of the other. The difference is you are lying all the problems of violence in sports on one person, Bertuzzi. Should he suffer the consequences of all the violence in sports because he was one of the few people that such violence caused severe injury? No what should change is how violence is handled as a whole in sports. Start from day one saying this type of violence is unacceptable and these are the repercussions.

How would you feel if for instance, the local police decided that speeding was very dangerous and can cause major accidents and even death. So one day the police decide they will jail anyone who is speeding rather than a usual fine. Not knowing this change, you drive a measly 5 miles over the speed limit. The police stop you and throw you in jail. Too bad, the police decided to change the rules on you.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:15 am
kickycan,

Tell the truth...you can't skate, can you? :wink:
0 Replies